All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already, I'm struggling to find a thread.

I have a 2001 1.2 Corsa Comfort. The other night I attempted to fit some 55w ice white bulbs in my headlight and full beam sockets as I have done many many times with other cars. They didn't work and when I turned the lights on the indicator on the same side came on constant. I promptly put the original lights back in and now none of the lights in the driver side set work at all, not even the sidelights. The indicator does work on the right but goes like the clappers when I use it indicating like a bulb on speed.

Can anyone offer any advice as I need the car for my 2nd job? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Kristian

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi Kristian, blimey sounds bad, well what i would do is go to the fuse box, check the light fuses, and test you have power to both sides of the relevant fuses...try it with light on and ignition on, if necessary disconnect all the plugs on the headlight, now you say the flashers flash fast, do all the lamps work, including the repeater, it sounds like you have shorted something out, i suggest those bulbs could have been incompatible with the wiring....

You may have screwed up the flasher unit, its a strange thing, it has two parts in it, left and right, well there are different types, but if its the one in the box near the battery it has, if its the one under the dash it may not be, turn them on and see where the ticking is coming from, another problem here is you are in the realms of the multi timer, if you have damaged that you are in trouble, you may even have burnt out the earth wire on the lamp, that should be Brown....i believe the relay for the headlights goes to the multi timer and the switch also goes to that, so they are turned on via the multi timer....

Personally i would disconnect the plugs of that lamp on o/s and turn the switches on and check for current there, then put the hazaed warning light on see what that does, test the earth connection....from Fred in Essex.

Morning all,

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already, I'm struggling to find a thread.

I have a 2001 1.2 Corsa Comfort. The other night I attempted to fit some 55w ice white bulbs in my headlight and full beam sockets as I have done many many times with other cars. They didn't work and when I turned the lights on the indicator on the same side came on constant. I promptly put the original lights back in and now none of the lights in the driver side set work at all, not even the sidelights. The indicator does work on the right but goes like the clappers when I use it indicating like a bulb on speed.

Can anyone offer any advice as I need the car for my 2nd job? Your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Kristian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turns out it's the entire housing unit that doesn't work.

I'very no headlight, side light or indicator now in the front unit.

Do you know what I need to do to fix it please?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Well it depends how clever you are, no disrespect, but you have to test the wiring with a circuit tester and find out whats going on, i can tell you. If you disconnect all the plugs that go on the lamp, turn the lights and flasher on etc, test for current to the relevant bulb holder, then test the bulbs across the battery, and test the earth, if you have power to the lamps and an earth, and the bulbs are ok, they must work...

The earth on the lamp is probably common to all the lights on the lamp...if you have a circuit tester, put the clip on the negative battery terminal and put the other end of the tester on the earth on the lamp, if it lights you have a bad earth or no earth, you must have everything connected and turned on to do that test,,,as for the colours i know brown is earth but as for the other colours i dont know off the top of my head...i can look it up in Haynes manual...if its the same as my 2000 corsa C...i litre..from Fred.

It turns out it's the entire housing unit that doesn't work.

I'very no headlight, side light or indicator now in the front unit.

Do you know what I need to do to fix it please?

Many thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It turns out that it was simply a loose earth wire. Took a friend of mine 30 seconds to fix it and all is working well again :)

Thank you all for your input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts