All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my car, it had an oil leak.. my mechanic diagnosed it as the driveshaft oil seal - drivers side. He replaced that and it fixed the problem.

The next day I found oil again.. it turns out the gearbox side has gone too. At least I think it is - oil all over the sump and dripping from link between gearbox. Checked the head and rocker cover gaskets, no leakages there.

I've consulted my Haynes and it reckons its a reasonably hard job. Has anyone done one and can advise on how hard it actually is? I assume the gearbox will need to be removed.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
If it is the rear crankshaft oil seal then as you say it's a biggish job - you've read the Haynes so you've got a pretty good idea what's involved.

But - you say oil all over the sump. Whilst oil spreads it doesn't tend to cover the whole sump if it's the rear crankshaft oil seal that's gone. The design of the bellhousing tends to make it collect there and drip off the bottom.

I'd clean the sump and then check where oil is coming from, it may be the sump gasket, it may be the timing cover gasket - there's a 3-way joint where the timing cover / block / sump all mate. Check also the oil filter housing - there's a seal in there which can leak if it's been disturbed (though not common.)

NB - when replacing the front crankshaft oil seal which is located in the timing cover your mechanic may have reformed that joint - and he may have replaced the sump gasket - depends how he did it. So check first.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought it might be a big job... probably best to get my mechanic to do it then.

I don't think I described it right by saying oil was all over the sump. (haven't actually taken a look at it in a while, been a long term problem that I haven't bothered to fix.)

The sump if I remember correctly wasn't completely covered in oil. Just where the gearbox and the block meet, the oil drips and when driving the car the oil spreads towards the rear making a mess. One plus to that is it seems to keep the underside pretty rust free ha.

I'll take a picture tomorrow, just to make sure I've diagnosed it right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts