All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo, are ecotech engines actually any good? why arnt all the corsa engines the same, for instance why are some ecotech?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
All the modern ones are ecotech iirc.
I'm not sure what the difference in them is, it could be the intake system but I'm not sure.
A quick comparison,
early gsi engines were none ecotech (c16xe), they produced 109 bhp, later gsi's had the x16xe engine in (same as the 1.6 sport) and they produced 106 bhp.
The engines are practically the same, most people argue that the earlier gsi engines were the better ones.

·
Registered
521 Posts
the ecotec engines are more economical hence the name and also the drop in power aas for which is better it depends what your after i guess hope this helps

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah cool, i think the ecotech engines look better but tbh performance wise its not going to drop a great deal mine being 16v helps i guess

·
Registered
393 Posts
the ecotec engines are more economical hence the name and also the drop in power aas for which is better it depends what your after i guess hope this helps
the drop in power is due to ecotec's being fitted with EGR valves, which are pretty much useless when you want to tune it because no matter what you do, you'll be fighting against it. the claim is that the ecotecs are more emissions friendly, which is rubbish because ive compared emission prints between my brother's car and mine (which has no emissions equipment other than a catalytic) and mine was actually better despite being 5 years older and almost twice the mileage of his.

as for being economical, ive heard that its typical for an ecotec to burn stupid amounts of oil between services (especially the 16v's for some reason) beyond the savings you might make in petrol between an ecotec and a non-ecotec. burning this much oil can't be emissions-friendly now can it?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
On that subject mine goes through oil like nobodies business. But my old x16xe engine didn't.

And the non ecotech 1.2 8v I had was great. Never let me down, great fuel consumption, and really good with emissions.

·
Registered
393 Posts
its another example of how government legislation can ruin everything, instead of tuning cars to run more efficiently (and more emission-friendly) they start throwing devices like EGR's and air-injection systems because its easier for them and less maintenance for service technicians. most of the time, its emission equipment that can cause some of the most stupid problems.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Took my secondary air injection ****e off and blanked the hole on the exhaust manifold. Did absolutely nothing whatsoever apart from sound like a hairdryer upon starting.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah my oil was the top marker few months back not its just below the min line! lol thought there was summin wrong but obviously not?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I know mines getting low when my engine rattles.

·
Registered
521 Posts
mine burns oil like anything but doesn't smoke at all is that normal i though it was prob coz i ragged the car when i first got it

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know mines getting low when my engine rattles.
Lmao I did that once :eek: It started rattling and I thought the engine was on its way out, took it to the garage, they popped the bonnet, checked the oil and it was empty, put more oil in and a few seconds later the rattling was gone! So embarrassing lol. But my car seems to go from filled right up with oil, to completely empty in a few months, which is why I hadn't checked the oil, I thought it would last longer than that. Oh well you live and learn lol.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
That's exactly it, they burn oil like mad.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Mark is it possible just to blank off the EGR? Been running through my mind recently and was thinking if it can be done and if it was worth doing

·
Registered
497 Posts
Are they meant to get through a lot of oil then? Or is it a problem with mine? I've heard different things from different people.

·
Registered
393 Posts
yeah clutch, its pretty easy, just make a blank-off plate out of some 1-2mm steel to the shape of the gasket. its a good, cheap and often easy way to check for a faulty egr.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Are they meant to get through a lot of oil then? Or is it a problem with mine? I've heard different things from different people.
See I'm not sure on this, judging by this thread it seems it's common. But my old x16xe engine was fine. Although my new one burns through it like crazy.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Well I've just checked my oil and there's more than enough in so it seems it needs a good oil change. Either that or I've been driving it too hard!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
dont think mines had a problem buring oil, the oil goes down slowly, but thats due to the sump plug needing a new copper washer lol, thatl be done next week when i service it :)

as for listening to rattleing, mines an ecotech so its got more tap than a blind mans stick constantly anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts