All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now iv just been reading bits and bobs about this but im not sure how to do it?
i think i get a coke can
cut to to the shape of the egr gasket and just bolt it in there
is it instead of the egr is that bad boy gone?
because mines playing up and the idle control
i think its them i cleaned them a bit the other week and it was fine, now iv done like 600 miles since then now its started to do what it was!
any help?
:thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
does anybody have a pic of a corsa B EGR valve? i can't be arsed going to look at mine

·
Registered
51 Posts
i duno has anyone blanked there egr on here?
I'm actually goint to blank off my EGR Valve. The only detrimental post I could find was the one I posted earlier.

I've done a lot of searching and there is very little posts that advise not to do it.

What a lot of other forums say is that when the EGR Valve is blanked off, you may get the Orange ECU light coming on. If this is the case go to a dealer who will Delete the EGR from the data and that fault will no longer light up.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Could you elaborate or provide a link?
"Blanking is only wise to do either....

Temporarily to test if the EGR valve is at fault

Otherwise you are at risk of causing damage to the engine

Contrary to popular belief and myth, a properly operating EGR actually increases the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

* Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
* Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
* Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is relatively minor compared to the first two

It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via a few more mechanisms

* Reduced intake charge density. EGR tends to heat the intake charge. This means a bigger piston or stroke must be used to induct the same amount of fuel and air mixture. This results in a bigger and heavier engine.
* Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.

EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output, and it is not employed at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle.

So in short the engine and ECU map is designed for the EGR valve to be fitted. Simply blanking it off affects the efficiency as the ECU will still be expecting it to be doing what it's mean to do, and the same goes for removing it totally.

And for those who say it's caused no problems. Of course it won't cause problems in the short term, but if your happy running your car with all the above not happening (and the ECU thinking it is) then look forward to pre-detonation, pinking and possible melted pistons in the future.

But if you want to remove then then feel free.. when did factual info ever count for more than ill informed opinion on forums?"

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cant cleaning the EGR valve solve the problem? i think i heard that somewhere. I need to replace (or blank mine off) but not sure which to do. Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on this topic. I think a few people on here have blanked theres off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
"Blanking is only wise to do either....

Temporarily to test if the EGR valve is at fault

Otherwise you are at risk of causing damage to the engine

Contrary to popular belief and myth, a properly operating EGR actually increases the efficiency of gasoline engines via several mechanisms:

* Reduced throttling losses. The addition of inert exhaust gas into the intake system means that for a given power output, the throttle plate must be opened further, resulting in increased inlet manifold pressure and reduced throttling losses.
* Reduced heat rejection. Lowered peak combustion temperatures not only reduces NOx formation, it also reduces the loss of thermal energy to combustion chamber surfaces, leaving more available for conversion to mechanical work during the expansion stroke.
* Reduced chemical dissociation. The lower peak temperatures result in more of the released energy remaining as sensible energy near TDC, rather than being bound up (early in the expansion stroke) in the dissociation of combustion products. This effect is relatively minor compared to the first two

It also decreases the efficiency of gasoline engines via a few more mechanisms

* Reduced intake charge density. EGR tends to heat the intake charge. This means a bigger piston or stroke must be used to induct the same amount of fuel and air mixture. This results in a bigger and heavier engine.
* Reduced specific heat ratio. A lean intake charge has a higher specific heat ratio than an EGR mixture. A reduction of specific heat ratio reduces the amount of energy that can be extracted by the piston.

EGR is typically not employed at high loads because it would reduce peak power output, and it is not employed at idle (low-speed, zero load) because it would cause unstable combustion, resulting in rough idle.

So in short the engine and ECU map is designed for the EGR valve to be fitted. Simply blanking it off affects the efficiency as the ECU will still be expecting it to be doing what it's mean to do, and the same goes for removing it totally.

And for those who say it's caused no problems. Of course it won't cause problems in the short term, but if your happy running your car with all the above not happening (and the ECU thinking it is) then look forward to pre-detonation, pinking and possible melted pistons in the future.

But if you want to remove then then feel free.. when did factual info ever count for more than ill informed opinion on forums?"
Thats the link I posted myself on another thread. :)

However, I've done a fairy big search on the web and thats the only detrimental post I've found and its written by a histrionic yank.

No 100% convinced by it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Cant cleaning the EGR valve solve the problem? i think i heard that somewhere. I need to replace (or blank mine off) but not sure which to do. Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on this topic. I think a few people on here have blanked theres off.
I would try and clean the ERG valve first. Be careful taking off as you may damage GASKET.:shocked: I read on another thread is to leave it soaking in Petrol for 24 hours then blast with carb cleaner. Don't forget to clean your Idle Control valve as well! Use WD40 first then carb cleaner.

If that dosen't work you've got the option of buying another or blanking it off.:thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
the problem with my EGR was that it wasn't closing at higher revs, meaning it got very jerky and lost a load of power.

that stuff that was posted against blanking it off is true, but it would only apply in perfect situations, i.e. very cold, dense air, an engine running perfectly etc. the only reason it's there is to reduce the emissions for countries that have more stringent MOT's.

I'll try to see if i can get a test done at uni to see what the difference is between having and not having an EGR. this might have to wait till September though, but it will be done!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts