All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I put this in the general chat because I am just curious as to why the EGR valve is placed where it is and I thought it would suit more there because I am not asking a mechanical question as to how replace it or fit it - but anyhows the moderator felt it was best placed in help and advice:

corsa b 1999 X10XE 1.0ltr 12v.
just wondering why the EGR is placed where it is on the x10xe engine next to the heater hose/temp indicator sender on the engine block?

Presumably the EGR takes the exhaust gasses and recirculates them through the engine again so why is the valve not place where the intake manifold is?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use the search function on here as i swear there was a thread showing egr locations on different engines

Just remove it and blank off or give good clean as this 80% of the time cures it
Thanks, I aint got any problems with it at the moment. No all it is is that I am curious ads to why they have put it in the place that it is next to the temperature sender housing and not on the inlet manifold. I mean where the temperature sender unit goes on the block there is water circulating there and not exhaust gases.

Would blanking off cause any long term damage like running too rich or too lean and I am presuming when you take it for am mot test you would have to put it back on for the co2 readings to be correct no?

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Thanks, I aint got any problems with it at the moment. No all it is is that I am curious ads to why they have put it in the place that it is next to the temperature sender housing and not on the inlet manifold. I mean where the temperature sender unit goes on the block there is water circulating there and not exhaust gases. so the egr gas is warmed up and to help warm the coolant in very cold conditions.

Would blanking off cause any long term damage like running too rich or too lean and I am presuming when you take it for am mot test you would have to put it back on for the co2 readings to be correct no?
makes no difference. blank it off and it may run better etc. if it aint broke dont fook with it.

Reactions: andy_ireland

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
makes no difference. blank it off and it may run better etc. if it aint broke dont fook with it.
oh right, thts what it does it heats up the coolant. Interesting I thought the EGR re-burnt the exhaust fumes through the engine again.

My engine is a bit lumpy at idling but i think thats the same with all these 3 cylinder engines but I might try disconnecting the egr and see what happens, see if it makes it idle a bit smoother. If you do unplug the EGR whilst engine is running does the engine light stay on the dash and will that register in the diagnostic codes for the ECU if you disconnect it?

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
the em light comes on. the 3 cylinders are rough as buggery when cold at idle. it does recirculate gases but it does the other job too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the em light comes on. the 3 cylinders are rough as buggery when cold at idle. it does recirculate gases but it does the other job too.
my 3cyl is rough idle when engines warm as well, hate sitting at traffic lights and the vibrating coming up through the car and the steering - when i am driving is fine. when its idling the rev counter is steady underneath the 1,000rmp though the needle is not raising up and down or anything. I am just wondering if my right hand engine mount (on the timing chain side of the engine) is gone and maybe that is sending vibrating up through the car. Had the engine mount out the other day and inspected it, the sides of the rubber is attached fine but it looks like the top part of the rubber has come away from the metal. - oh well a job for another day I suppose!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.