All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

My girlfriends Corsa has been cutting out repeatedly recently and doing it at various times i.e. when the car has been hot and cold and at varying revs and speeds. The car will start fine again straight after. The car was MOT'd on monday and passed fine, however the Emissions light has just come on.

I think this sounds like an EGR Valve problem, just wondering if anyone knew if there was any other issues it may be before I replace the part.

She has been quoted £200 by a garage to replace it but from what I can see it is not that difficult to replace as I have worked on lots of cars, (So not a complete novice!!!)

Also I have noticed on here people saying you can pick up EGR valves from scrapyards for as little as a £5!!!! Would anybody recommend doing this or would it be safer to get a new one??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you done the paperclip test to see whether or not it's being registered as an EGR fault?

Get some carb cleaner (£4 or so from local car spares shop), remove the valve from the engine and give it a good clean out. I had to buy a new sheet of gasket paper to make a new gasket though, but that was pennies to buy.

I was having the same cut-out issue in my Corsa B, and giving it a thorough clean solved the problem for me :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!!!

I haven't done the test yet, It is a Corsa C though, not sure if that would make a difference, I will try cleaning out tomorrow!! Weather permitting !!!! (English summer huh??)

I'll let you know how I get on with it!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts