All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the engine light came on so i got it in for a check. says that there's something wrong with the EGR valve, been told it will cost around £200 for a replacement. is it nescessary on the engine or can it be removed completley?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Yeh you can blank it off easily, just need to make a plate and cover it, although think there is a bit more too it than that :confused:

I wouldnt pay £200 for an EGR valve though

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
It can be blanked off, alot of people have done it with a coke can. Might want to try cleaning ti first though.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Yep first step is to clean it, that's usually what causes any problem with it.
And as said, they are peanuts off ebay. I bought one for £5 a few years ago.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My car went into the garage recently because the EGR valve had snapped off from the manifold. But when it was all disconnected the engine management light wasn't on, but when I got the car back it's coming on, could that be a faulty EGR valve? It only comes on when the engines warmed up a bit too. What effect does it have on the engine if you blank it off? Sorry to highjack the thread but thought it was a good place to ask in passing. :)

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I don't think it has any effect if you blank it off. A lot of people do it when fitting Mantzels and similar to the 1.4s and 1.6's.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Wouldn't it fail the emissions without the EGR valve connected? Or does it just reduce the emissions even further than they need to be?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
As far as I'm aware it shouldn't have much if any effect on it.

Mine passed it's MOT easy.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Im guessing you blanked yours off then lee? des the engine management light stay on when you blank it?

·
Registered
184 Posts
My car went into the garage recently because the EGR valve had snapped off from the manifold. But when it was all disconnected the engine management light wasn't on, but when I got the car back it's coming on, could that be a faulty EGR valve? It only comes on when the engines warmed up a bit too. What effect does it have on the engine if you blank it off? Sorry to highjack the thread but thought it was a good place to ask in passing. :)
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recycling Valve

Done to tighten up emissions by taking some of the exhaust gas and putting it back in the inlet manifold to burn it again at higher RPM where the engine burns more efficiently.

If it seizes up, then it will dump CO/CO2 into the engine at lower RPM and this will make the emission levels rise.

It also has the effect by reducing the available oxygen in the unburnt gases of reducing the cars performance slightly at lower RPM (I say slightly)

I blanked the EGR valve on my Shogun 4 years ago and it always passes its emission test at MOT time !

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Im guessing you blanked yours off then lee? des the engine management light stay on when you blank it?
No I haven't touched mine.
You have to blank them off when fitting a Mantzel or similar though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Troubles with egr valve

You can pick up an EGR valve from the scrap yards for as little as £5 saves you a fair bit.
I bought a 2nd hand one for 30 and had it fitted for 20 three weeks ago. The light has come back on so I took it took a garage. they charged me 52 pounds for the test and he said it would be 210 for the part which included VAT and fitting it. Is this cheap. He did say the part is from Vauxhall and they qouted him just over 130 plus VAT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Corsa ERG thing

Hi All,
I purchased my first Corsa on Saturday. a 2005 CDTI which ran well for the first day. Now the engine management light comes on after 10 mins & it won't hold a constant low engine speed. Touching the accellerator makes it buck like a kangaroo & it seems to respond badly to low throttle responses. If it is the ERG at fault & it does need cleaning - where is it & what does it look like - I don't have a manual yet as I only had car 3 days

·
Registered
2 Posts
Idle Speed EGR ????

Corsa 1.2 sohc 1998
After starting car engine races as if throttle stuck, checked throttle, cable etc all seem fine, this is an intermittent fault, could this be due to EGR fault, any ideas help much appreciated. The engine is pre injection carb model.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Corsa 1.2 sohc 1998
After starting car engine races as if throttle stuck, checked throttle, cable etc all seem fine, this is an intermittent fault, could this be due to EGR fault, any ideas help much appreciated. The engine is pre injection carb model.
It shouldn't be a carb model - unless it was a car which lay around unsold for a very long time and was a late registration. From 1993 that engine was single point fuel injection.

Can you double check please. If it is the engine I think it is then I suspect your problem is the idle control valve, not the EGR. (And if is a carb model then it definitely won't have an EGR!!!)

The idle valve can be taken off and cleaned - which usually works. If not it is not difficult to replace.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts