All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened my car door today to be welcomed with a faint wisp of smoke...which turned into a quite sizeable fire on the dash, I put it out with a bucket or two of water and this is what resulted...

I presume it's something to do with the fuse box...I was jump starting a motorbike form the car the other day. I know the insurance company probably won't give me anything as I have a £350 excess. Is it worth attempting to repair the car my self? If not what would you advice? Thanks

P.S. I wasn't sure which section to post this in! I hope this is OK.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wouldn't be worth the cost of repairing so scrap it. Also try to avoid using water on electrical fires. For your safety
I wasn't sure at the time how it started, so it was either water or watching it burn...

How much do you think a scrapyard would sell it for?

·
Registered
440 Posts
just saying but the dumbest thing you could do was throw water on an electrical fire.....

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Insurance won't cover you for the fire mate

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
you knowwhen rubber in cars burns it makes an acid which can and will disolve your skin and bones?

its dead btw. £100+ scrap.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone.

Removed all the fuel. Now I'm sending it off to the insurance company to be 'evaluated'. If I won't get much for it I'll scrap it and save my NCB.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hmmm.... I'd agree that for you it's probably wise to scrap it, although I will say that for about £500 it could be repaired. The most expensive part of that being a new windscreen.
I had a windscreen last month and it was £72 with the blue tint sun strip in the glass and £13 to fit so £85 all in

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
If its obvious the cause was electrical, check your terms and conditions - most insurance companies won't cover fire damage caused by electrical faults due to people tinkering with them and not knowing what they are doing

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got £100 for her...not much but I doubt I could have got significantly more anyway. Bye Bye first car. :( Thanks for all your help over the years every body.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts