All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have a Corsa Breze, 1998, 1.4, 8v, X14SZ engine.
Few months ago car started jerking when accelerating on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I did not pay too much attention to this. But a month later I saw a light(engine with spark, EML, I guess) coming on and off on dashboard. And then revs go up just randomly on neutral. And if I will switch the engine off when this light is on, then its terribly hard to start the engine. And now even worse: car might not start even if the EML is not on. All this start to happen after 30 minutes of driving. When engine is cold, it starts 1st attempt, with no problems at all.
Been in 3 garages. None of them found any faults on computer. Though, one garage suggested to clean the throttle body (60 quid wasted). Another garage suggested to change camshaft sensor (70 quid wasted). 3rd garage suggested to change coolant sensor(30 quid wasted). And the problem is still there.
Then, after reading this forum, I bought a EGR valve gasket for 3 quid and replaced myself, cleaned EGR valve properly. Now, car is not jerking at all. But the EML still comes up from time to time for 10-60 seconds(or so). And the engine starts very hard after is was switched off with eml light on, and might start hard even if engine was switched off with no eml light on. Please, see the video attached. In the beginning of this video I did not press accelerator, though engine was running on 1000 revs, instead of 800 as normal. And pay attention how the engine started.

Please, advise what shall I do? This forum is the only way to fix my car after 3 garages failed :(
Regarding Vauxhall dealer: I don't want to go to them, as they will charge more than the car costs. And may possibly tell me same story that "computer did not find any faults".

·
Banned
885 Posts
Is you car anything like due for a FULL service? which would change spark plugs,filters etc.
If so, this may be all that you need to do.
I hope that those garages used genuine Vauxhall or Bosch sensors, as some of the 'aftermarket' ones are not very reliable, even from new.
I noticed the temperature going up during the video, does it normally go much higher, or does it stay at about 90°c?
Does the engine use much oil?
If you can check on the above items and let us know the results, we'll have another think about your problem.

Regards

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there i apologise if i have already replied to this message, you do of course have to do a code test, if you don't have one you can get a code reader off ebay for £20, reads and deletes codes, all you want...looking at the video i noticed the gauges were on zero, fuel and temp, is that gauge fault or real, as if the fuel is that low it will draw up a load of crap from the tank, if the temp is that low that will give you running problems, the management system uses the water temperature sensor for the cold and hot running, if the engines running cold all the time or the sensor isn't working it will run bad and use a lot of fuel...in all honesty there isn't much point in wasting money putting new bits on, the best thing you could do is take it to someone who has something like a snap on Modis analizer and knows how to use it...they usually start with the codes and go on from there...without knowing what codes are in there your fighting in the dark...it could be the fuel pump, air leak or blocked exhaust...you need to read the codes, write them down and delete them, you could try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes that does wonders sometimes...best wishes from Fred in Essex

Hi.

I have a Corsa Breze, 1998, 1.4, 8v, X14SZ engine.
Few months ago car started jerking when accelerating on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I did not pay too much attention to this. But a month later I saw a light(engine with spark, EML, I guess) coming on and off on dashboard. And then revs go up just randomly on neutral. And if I will switch the engine off when this light is on, then its terribly hard to start the engine. And now even worse: car might not start even if the EML is not on. All this start to happen after 30 minutes of driving. When engine is cold, it starts 1st attempt, with no problems at all.
Been in 3 garages. None of them found any faults on computer. Though, one garage suggested to clean the throttle body (60 quid wasted). Another garage suggested to change camshaft sensor (70 quid wasted). 3rd garage suggested to change coolant sensor(30 quid wasted). And the problem is still there.
Then, after reading this forum, I bought a EGR valve gasket for 3 quid and replaced myself, cleaned EGR valve properly. Now, car is not jerking at all. But the EML still comes up from time to time for 10-60 seconds(or so). And the engine starts very hard after is was switched off with eml light on, and might start hard even if engine was switched off with no eml light on. Please, see the video attached. In the beginning of this video I did not press accelerator, though engine was running on 1000 revs, instead of 800 as normal. And pay attention how the engine started.

Please, advise what shall I do? This forum is the only way to fix my car after 3 garages failed :(
Regarding Vauxhall dealer: I don't want to go to them, as they will charge more than the car costs. And may possibly tell me same story that "computer did not find any faults".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there i apologise if i have already replied to this message, you do of course have to do a code test, if you don't have one you can get a code reader off ebay for £20, reads and deletes codes, all you want...looking at the video i noticed the gauges were on zero, fuel and temp, is that gauge fault or real, as if the fuel is that low it will draw up a load of crap from the tank, if the temp is that low that will give you running problems, the management system uses the water temperature sensor for the cold and hot running, if the engines running cold all the time or the sensor isn't working it will run bad and use a lot of fuel...in all honesty there isn't much point in wasting money putting new bits on, the best thing you could do is take it to someone who has something like a snap on Modis analizer and knows how to use it...they usually start with the codes and go on from there...without knowing what codes are in there your fighting in the dark...it could be the fuel pump, air leak or blocked exhaust...you need to read the codes, write them down and delete them, you could try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes that does wonders sometimes...best wishes from Fred in Essex
Thank you Fred.
The car is running like a swiss watch :).
The problem was that one of the stupid garages changed my Temp Gauge sensor, and not the CTS. I changes the CTS myself. Payed 8£ for it from eBay. And in total 240 wasted in useless garages, and non of them manages to find any fault codes. Stupid idiots they are. I done the paperclip test and found the code which said CTS. Next time I won't go to any garage untill I'm sure I'm not able to fix it myself.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ok Glad you sorted it, how do you do this paper clip test, is it something to do with pressing the throttle down as well? have heard something about that..i assume you ground a pin out on the connector and count the flashes on th light, that used to be the way...from Fred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Glad you sorted it, how do you do this paper clip test, is it something to do with pressing the throttle down as well? have heard something about that..i assume you ground a pin out on the connector and count the flashes on th light, that used to be the way...from Fred.
No throttle involved. Only paperclip, and then count th flashes. I saw in youtube.
I was thinking to get of my car because of the problem. But now I will keep it. 420£ a year for insurance in Dagenham. Thats a bargain. Corsa rules :))

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yes i had a look on U tube, it seems up to about 2000 you can use a paperclip, from 2000 to 2005 say you press the brake and throttle down and turn ign on an off then on again and count the flashes on the MIL light, from 2005 onwards you do same but look at mileometer and it comes up with eobd code number on there...i have a 20 pound code reader...Fred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just wandering how stupid and careless garages are. Just useless bunch of crooks. They can not even do the paperclip test, shame :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts