All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just out of general interest i was wondering how much it costs around to put in a 1.6 or 2.0 engine into a corsa 1.2 8v? anyone got any estimates lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not entirely sure but I was under the impression it's around the £2000 mark for a 2.0 engine conversion. But even after that you'd have to uprate the brakes, suspension, etc. £2000 pays for just the engine and maybe the gearbox I think. It's not at all cheap lol. Hopefully someone else will come along and get this 100% right.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
theres a company called jnc racing in total vauxhall that does the hole lot including strenthened engine bay,exhaust system,coilovers,breaks,gearbox all fitted an back on the road for £3500 bit expensive but saves the hasle.:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
At least you know how much you are paying, and you know you are getting it all done together. Seems more expensive if you do everything seperate. I assume with that you give them your car, they put the engine in, and uprate/replace everything that needs to be done to handle the bigger engine so it's ready to be driven away?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
yeah saves the hasle of finding the engine an other parts then fitting them that way its all dun an garateed its all guna work.duno if it work out much more expensive.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I converted my old 1.2 8v to a 1.6 16v for just under £600.
That included all parts needed, plus replacement clutch (£45), plus £75 to a mechanic neighbour for helping me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
600 - 1000 would sound good for me to consider doining it to a 1.6, otherwise mayaswell just buy one lol!

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
If you have a bit of knowledge of car mechanics anyway, a 1.6 conversion is really that hard. You can use your current driveshafts, hubs, discs, calipers, gearbox, radiator and a lot of the cooling pipes.
You need an engine, gearbox if you really want, engine loom, ecu, chip, s-bend pipe from rad the thermostat, and a header tank with two pipes on it.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Yep, a 1.6 sport is a great step upo from a 1.2 8v. I would advise using the 1.6 gearbox aswell, and also getting hold of the 1.6 clocks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I did my 1.6 conversion from a 1.4 simply because I sourced the engine really cheap (£100) and it had just been treated to a new headgasket/cambelt.

It's surprising how quick the 1.6's are in the lower gears....nowhere close to a 20XE but still, you don't fork out anywhere near as much. You're looking at 106/107bhp standard with a 16v and around 100bhp standard for 8v (1.6).

Also, a 1.6 conversion is lighter on the insurance since although a lot of C20XE conversions have been done, I doubt 50% have been declared.

Overall, I would guess my conversion cost me around £200 but I did most of the work myself. Well pleased with the results.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If only I had the money, an area to work in, and most importantly the knowledge, I'd love to do an engine conversion or something along those lines :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
am thinking about a conversion from a 1.0 to a 1.2 or 1.4 sri how much do you think am talking about?

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Probably around £500-600 mark.
Although I wouldn't really say the 1.2 would be worth it tbh.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i thought it was going to be like £3000 to convert to 1.6 and i am happliy suprised it can be done a hell of alot cheaper! i am really going to look into this and see what can be done and hopefully my 1.2 8v, will be converted to a 1.6 during the early summer months :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh and another quick question wheres the best place to buy there engines ive seen afew crop up on ebay every now and again around the £150 - £400 mark! just wondering where else you can pick these up from and at what cost! 1.6 by the way!

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Just do a search on the net for breakers yards.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I got mine off a breakers yard selling through ebay.
Don't get an engine with milage over around 60,000 and make sure you hear it running. Also make sure you get a warranty with it, even if it's only a few months.

Also it's wise to do a full service on the engine, incl cambelt, prior to installing it in your car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts