All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Corsa B has started cutting out when the revs are low and near tick over, Iv been told a lot of different reasons as to why this might be, from it being the spark plugs to the Idle Control Valve (ICV). It can be stopped from happening by keeping the revs away from tick over but I need to stop this problem from happing all together.

So far I have changed the Spark plugs over and cleaned out the ICV but these only stopped the problem temporally. Any help will be hugely appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Usual points
when was the car last serviced and what was carried out?

Did you inspect the old plugs for electrode colouring when you removed them? They can tell you a bit about the type of combustion they've been exposed to and possibly whether the HT leads and/or distributor cap is in good nick

Sounds like the throttle body needs to come off so that you can clean it underneath the butterfly plate. This is careful, meticulous work and you should take care not to score the sides of the body with anything metal, this will only provide future carbon deposits with a keying point and they will accumulate more quickly. Invest a few pence in a new throttle body gasket and check the pipework into and out of the body is not blocked up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original Spark plugs were blacked with what I can see as oil, I had swapped the spark plugs over and taken them out reason today and these are covered in the same oil again, also one of the plugs (The one from the right of the engine) has a yellow ring around the porcelain part of the spark plug.
I have not yet taken the car for a full service since I have bought it but I took it into a garage for diagnostics when this problem stated, this is where I was told about the ICV and the crank sensor and this possibility needing replacing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Would you say a vehicle service was beyond your abilities?
I'm not trying to poke fun at you but most people would agree it's in your interests to learn.

Open your airbox, have a look at the condition of your air filter. If it's morphed into the corpse of a dead skunk, replace it

Run the engine until warm, undo the sump bolt (19mm) and drain the old oil into something sealable and dispose of it somewhere*. Oil filters can be quite challenging to get off but they are mostly do-able. Put a lick of oil around the rubber seal of the new one and screw it on, hand tight.

Does your vehicle have a distributor set up, or that coil pack malarky?

Edit: *responsibly - household waste disposal sites usually have a silo for used oils

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Just worth noting that the 1.0 engine is a coilpack rather than a distributor, and the oil filter is a paper element inside a housing on the front of the engine (transmission side). You need a 32mm spanner to remove the plastic cap and lift the filter out. Use a good quality filter, some cheap ones will break up and block the oilways.

If your plugs are oiling up there's a reason for that - and this could be a cause of your idle problems. How quickly do they oil up and what is your oil consumption like?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts