All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, have just introduced and said Hi. New to this forum. Tried to find similar threads, as well as searching. Nothing coming back on ECU or engine management.
So I start with an apology if in the wrong area or it has been covered before.

So is ECU deemed as engine, ergo mechanical, or as I expected to do with Electronics?? - hence where on the forum to look.

So to get to the nitty gritty.:eek:

As my intro says, I have a corsa,(C - 2002) bought as a donor with an ECU fault. Bought for other parts, but it is in better condition than the original, so I would like to get both going.

On a whim, I bought a third Corsa, same year (comfort), but got it remotely, i.e. I am away working sent my son. Checked it was running, what it had failed MOT's on etc.
What I forgot to check was the engine. Turns out it is a 1.2 and not a 763 like the other two.

so to my question.
I would prefer not to engine swap, so Is the ECU from the 1.2 able to go into the 763. Basically, can I change the configuration of the ECU???

I have just purchased the op-com unit to reset ECU etc.

anyone any ideas

cheers
Mike:laugh: :palm:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi there the ECU or PCM or ECM all the same thing is the central brain of the cars ignition and fuel management system...not really sure what your trying to do, but if your changing the engine it would be better if you could use the ecu that is already on the car, if you change the ecu for another one it has to be programed to the car, or the car wont start or run...you might be able to do that with OpCom i'm not too sure...

but essentially the ECU has inputs from engine sensors, like MAF, Temperature, IAT, Lambda etc, it has a 12 volt power supply going to it, and it has actuators, like injectors, EGR valve, idle control valves throttle bodies etc...so the ecu gets info from sensors and tells the actuators what to do basically....there is also a BCM on there i would think, Body control Module, that is wired to nearly every system on the car, and tells the ecu when to switch on when you put the key in etc, good luck from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Fred

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.
The Corsa (973) I am working on has a known failed ECU. I have a donor corsa (1.2) which the engine is in a poor state, but the ECU is good.

I am hoping I can use the good ECU and from what you say, if it basically reacts to sensor inputs then there is a chance it will work.
What I have gleaned from t'internet, that I should reset the ECU before removing it, then hopefully it will remap once fitted into the other car.

I also realise I need to transfer immobiliser transducer and key encoder from the fob.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hi Mike, i dont think you can use that ecu, not without a lot of wiring mods, if i have this right a 1.2 is a 4 cylinder and a 973 is a 3 cylinder, is that right?, so the ecu must be completely different, i dont think t will work, i would think either get a 3 cylinder ecu or get yours repaired....i cant see that anything will fit, the ecu has 3 trigger wires on, to switch the coils on the 1 litre, the 4 cylinder must have 4...you will have to let me know how you get on with that....Fred.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
suspected so

Thanks again for the input Fred. That is more or less what I expected.
As I said, it was a remote, spare of the moment buy of a donor car which I didnt fully do my research before sending my son to buy. But a running motor for 100 quid. had to act quickly.

once I realised, I thought the 4 cylinder would be the problem. So will continue to look for another ECU, whilst using or selling parts. Good set of alloys, electric windows and mirrors. Sure I can sell or maybe transplant into the other cars.

Thanks again

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.