All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got an issue with the engine management light on my 2008 Corsa 1.2.

Last week I bought a new USB phone charger which I now believe to be faulty. However, at the time I didn't know that and plugged it into my cigarette lighter. A few minutes later, the engine management light came on.

I have done the pedal test and the fault code is 5534. However, after looking on various forums I'm unable to identify what this code refers to.

If I disconnect my battery, the light goes off but always comes back on a few days later.

Can anyone shed any light on what the potential problem might be? Apart from the EML being illuminated, the car seems to be running perfectly.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi David..It looks like one of those no one seems to know about, the thing is when you do the pedal test it only works on Petrol's by the way, if it flashes 10 times that is a 0, the rest of the numbers are normal, then i think your supposed to put a P in front of it, there seems to be 2 different types of codes, Vauxhall ones and Generic ones...one item i read says it cross references to the MAF sensor...i cant see why plugging a phone in the ciggerette light ter should effect the management system....

The best thing you could do is use an OpCom diagnostic reader...they sell them on ebay, they work with windows...or you can buy an eobd code reader off ebay for about £10, they read and clear codes..i was going to say disconnect the batter for half hour, but loks like you have already done, that, i might be inclines to run through all the fuses with a circuit tester, including the ones under the little black cover in the fuse box...some of that code number appear to have another number or a letter after them...

One thing you could try is to go onto the CORSA-C|UK forum and ask @opcomdiagnostic send him a message he is very good and he will point you in the right direction...from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having engine management light problems too. I bought my 04 Corsa three weeks ago, had a lot of problems and engine management light was on, the garage did a full service and cleared all fault codes, now two days later the engine management light has come back on but the reader said no codes, cleared it but it's come back on again, would you have any idea why it would keep coming up with no fault codes?
Thanks in advance, Jane

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi Jane, some code readers or even the pedal test cant read some fault codes, i think there is a code in there that you cant see, you say the garage cleared the code, if they cleared it, they probably could read what it was before they deleted it...

It sounds like you have some fault there and something needs doing, it's a common thing for garages to delete codes, just to put the light out, but it doesn't do much good if it keeps coming back, right ?...what i would do though is disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour, then see if it comes back after that, but be careful you will loose the radio code if you have one....it might be in your instruction book..on a card..good luck from Fred in Essex.

I'm having engine management light problems too. I bought my 04 Corsa three weeks ago, had a lot of problems and engine management light was on, the garage did a full service and cleared all fault codes, now two days later the engine management light has come back on but the reader said no codes, cleared it but it's come back on again, would you have any idea why it would keep coming up with no fault codes?
Thanks in advance, Jane

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you, the battery was disconnected but light came back, I've just had to spend £478.15 getting it fixed and I've only had it for 3 weeks (back tyres were worn past the legal requirement, both front cv joints broken and passenger side suspension coil spring was broken), I'm worried I'm looking at an expensive fix. I looked it up and in some it's a known fault in others it's connected to emissions? I love the Corsa but it's becoming the bane of my life! I only passed my test 2 weeks ago! It's going back into the garage tomorrow, hopefully won't be too expensive and they'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks again for the advice 😊 much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi Jane, well at least you got something for your money, the stuff you mentioned doesn't come cheap, as for the ECU light coming on that is a problem, there seems to be a lot of trouble on Corsa's with Earth leads under the bonnet, either broken off, loose or corroded around the battery area, i know it seems unlikely but i think it's worth a look...

Somewhere near the fuse box ad ecu area...might even be corroded, look for a bolt with a load of brown wires on, on engine or body....theirs an old saying where i come from, It's not a good idea to do up and old car, it's better to buy one to start with that has nothing wrong with it, that's what i try to do, i have always bought low mileage cars that might be a bit old, but it makes them cheap, usually from people i know, if you know the owner or know the car your half way there...good luck from Fred in Essex.

Thank you, the battery was disconnected but light came back, I've just had to spend £478.15 getting it fixed and I've only had it for 3 weeks (back tyres were worn past the legal requirement, both front cv joints broken and passenger side suspension coil spring was broken), I'm worried I'm looking at an expensive fix. I looked it up and in some it's a known fault in others it's connected to emissions? I love the Corsa but it's becoming the bane of my life! I only passed my test 2 weeks ago! It's going back into the garage tomorrow, hopefully won't be too expensive and they'll get to the bottom of it. Thanks again for the advice 😊 much appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So when it went back to the garage they said its the EGR valve sticking open, quoted me £212+ VAT! After last week's hefty bill I can't afford that but as always it's not what you know but who you know and my mechanic friend is going to help me out! Though he did say the fault code for EGR is often displayed when it's something else that's actually wrong, a lot of EGRs have been replaced and light has come back. I massively appreciate your help and advice, I'm a total newbie to this car world. Thanks again 😊

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi Jane you did the right thing, that's alot of money for something that probably doesn't need replacing, you want to get you man to take it off, its on the passengers side of the rear of the engine or ilet manifold, got a pipe from the exhaust going to it, take it off, spray the plunger with brake cleaner or carburetor clear, some kind of solvent, work the plunger in and out a few times, make sure its free, put it back clear the codes and ind it should be alright...£212, you gotta be kidding...must have been a main dealer..when that valve does stick open the car hardly idles normally, the valve is probably cylindrical with a 5 pin multi plug on.....good luck from Fred.

So when it went back to the garage they said its the EGR valve sticking open, quoted me £212+ VAT! After last week's hefty bill I can't afford that but as always it's not what you know but who you know and my mechanic friend is going to help me out! Though he did say the fault code for EGR is often displayed when it's something else that's actually wrong, a lot of EGRs have been replaced and light has come back. I massively appreciate your help and advice, I'm a total newbie to this car world. Thanks again 😊

1 - 8 of 8 Posts