All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been bugging me since it started a couple of weeks ago. When the car is idling after a journey or during stopping time at traffic lights there is a distinctive rattle from the engine bay. The noise is quite loud as it can be heard from inside the car, it doesnt sound really bad but is obviously unhealthy as it never did it before.

There is not really much of a noise when I first start the car in the mornings or after a long time since it was running. It does not rattle when ther car is moving. Being in gear or out makes no difference and anything electrical like strain on battery makes no difference.

I havent got a clue? Somebody said something about a water pump or something to do with water? And someone else said I have a noisy gear something?

Any ideas?

Also, how do I know if my Cam Belt needs to be changed? Because I have been recommended to change it since my last MOT/Service.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Might be heat shield rattle or some other component rattling.

Generally the car rattles more the lower the RPM. When you first start the car it normally sits at 1000-1200RPM becuase its cold, when your moving the engine is doin more, but when the engine has warmed up it idles at about 900RPM, the lowest at any time, this low RPM can cause something to rattle and that would explain why it would only do it then.

My door pin used to do the same, idling cold it was fine, but when warmed up the lower idle RPM made the difference for it to vibrate.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't really describe it. Not high pitched, not deep as such just a general rattle that comes and goes in durations of about 2-3 seconds.

·
Registered
259 Posts
find where the ratterling is comming from should be near the front wheel just a little bit back if its the heat sheld thats rattling

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
What is the heat shield? What can I do to diagnose it?
Let your car warm up and idle so that you can hear the noise, open your bonnet look and listen and look around underneath the car to source where the sound is coming from, should give you an indication of where and whats wrong. The heat shield is basically a piece of metal thats mounted to the car to protect it from the heat off the exhaust, you can see them along the exhaust system under the car.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. Another thing I just thought of. If I drive along the dual cariageway/motorway at high speeds when I come to a set of traffic lights or have to stop my exhaust rattles on a piece of metal and is rather annoying. I have had some metal cut away but it is doing it again now.

I will check the engine noise tomorrow then thanks Clutch.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
OK. Another thing I just thought of. If I drive along the dual cariageway/motorway at high speeds when I come to a set of traffic lights or have to stop my exhaust rattles on a piece of metal and is rather annoying. I have had some metal cut away but it is doing it again now.

I will check the engine noise tomorrow then thanks Clutch.
No probs :thumbs_up:

Cant you secure the metal rather than cutting more away.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well to be honest mate I didnt want to just have it cut. But the story was that I had a new exhaust fitted on the car, and it then started rattling cos the new one sat better on the car. Took it back and said it wasnt right, and they just cut at it lol. Didn't want to waste time on me I presume! Typical great service from a garage! :rolleyes:

The only thing I was thinking is that it must be something else making it rattle so much as it is a new exhaust in the last year and is secured fine on the car.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Well to be honest mate I didnt want to just have it cut. But the story was that I had a new exhaust fitted on the car, and it then started rattling cos the new one sat better on the car. Took it back and said it wasnt right, and they just cut at it lol. Didn't want to waste time on me I presume! Typical great service from a garage! :rolleyes:

The only thing I was thinking is that it must be something else making it rattle so much as it is a new exhaust in the last year and is secured fine on the car.
Whats the exhaust rattling on? Thing is corsa exhausts hang very freely, i had a new system on in january and it bangs on the axle and moves all over the place. My old one had some cable ties around the bushes on the backbox to restrict some of the movement, it didnt bang on anything, so might do it again.

When you next look at your car grab the exhaust and shape it a bit see if it hits anything, it might be worth doing what i just said to see if it stops it moving around.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it's a case of making it more secure like you said. I will try the ties tomorrow. It basically is rattling and hitting/rattling on the metal that is just above the tip of the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Thats the intake temperature control pipe, inside your airbox is an air flap, when the engine is cold this flap opens and draws in warm air from the exhaust manifold, thats what the ribbed pipe is for. The red pipe opens and closes the flap.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought so! Anything I need to check is all good in the engine bay? Anything commonly go wrong in the B?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Nothing really, check for any corrosion or leaks, fluid levels, water in the distributor is quite common on corsas, but if you did have water in it then you would know about it lol, it wouldnt start or run right. Check for anything lose, like the exhaust heat shield, its good to check your oil level now and again too.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK I have had a look and I really can't figure out where it is coming from. The engine ticks over quite loudly it's hard to tell. The Cam Belt area seems to be really noisey. Shall I change the belt? I was told I may need to do that anyway.

As for the exhaust, it is rattling on the bumper. The rubber parts which hold the exhaust up are beginning to split, should they be replaced and it will be more secured?

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
OK I have had a look and I really can't figure out where it is coming from. The engine ticks over quite loudly it's hard to tell. The Cam Belt area seems to be really noisey. Shall I change the belt? I was told I may need to do that anyway.

The rubber parts which hold the exhaust up are beginning to split, should they be replaced and it will be more secured?
Id recommend you change your cam belt as a precaution from it breaking, although this will not get rid of the noise, it sounds like your water or oil pump is noisy to me as it coming from the cambelt side of the engine, also the exhaust bushes should be changed as they are split, new ones might be more solid and stop it from moving round so much.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK mate. I can get the belt done for around £90 does this sound about right?

Also, where can I get the rubber exhaust bushes?

I think it may be my water pump. How serious is this? Would it be expensive if it broke or can it be fixed cheap and easily?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts