All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought the car today from a private seller, engine worked like a dream when viewing vehicle, after buying the car I drove 20 miles back home with no problems. I parked up on my drive and switched off the engine. At that point my partner came outside to view the car.

I switched the engine back on (30 seconds after switching off) and the whole car felt like it was shaking along with the engine accompanied by a knocking noise, idle became erratic (idle was perfect just few mins before), engine light came on, when I pressed the gas in neutral the knocking and shaking gets worse. I opened the bonnet and smelt rubber burning and saw small amount of smoke rising from the right side of the engine. I have not started the car since.

What could cause the engine to shake and knock in that way all of a sudden?

Can the chain timing system be a cause? How can I check for a failed chain?

-THINGS IVE CHECKED-
I checked the oil for any signs of gasket failure, but no caramel colour. Oil level is fine.

I attempted to push/rock the engine while engine off, to check for broken engine mounts, it feels very sturdy. (I guess this shouldn't affect idle anyway)

Pedal test codes P0854, P0575, P5***, P5*** (will re-test to get the last 2 codes, just know they start with 5)

Any advice is much appreciated...

·
Banned
90 Posts
what car/model/engine is this...the fault code for GM motors are po854 is Drive Switch Input Circ Low and po575 is Cruise Ctrl Input Circ...very, strange..take car back to the seller and say car is unroadworthy and be polite then ask for your money back or go to trading standards m8

·
Banned
885 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

As above, it may be best to see about getting your money back or having the problem fixed, however, if it was a private sale, this may be more difficult.

Do you know anything about the service history of the car? I ask this, as it COULD be something as simple as needing new spark plugs etc.

I'm not quite sure where you are talking about when you say, "right hand side", do you mean the drivers side? If so, the rubber burning/smoke COULD have been from the auxiliary drive belt, but if this is the case,there must be an underlying problem, such as a seized/partly seized coolant (water) pump, alternator or belt tensioner unless you had switched on the air conditioning, in which case, it could be a seized compressor.

More details and what year/ model we are talking about may help in giving you a more accurate answer.

Regards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts