All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

This is my firt post here at allcorsa.co.uk =)
Im 21y male from norway.

I own a 1993 Opel Corsa b 1.4 8v.
I bougth it wery cheap and in the following months i changed:
Rear axle, battery, alternator, wipers, plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter.
And i mounted a new exhaust. Its a neet little car and suprisingly quick with that small engine.

The main issue i have had is the alternator often came loose. And one day the alternator belt ending up being twisted on the pulley. So i loosen the alternator and put the belt on like it should be, nice and snug. When i tried to start it the car run like crap. Really had no idea what was causing that so i took the old spark plug and mounted them again without any improvements.
changed the sparkplug wires, had it from a friends donor car. And changed the rotor....no improments here either...So i suspect the coil, and ending up getting a used one from a scrapyard..same results...

I have also tried the paperclip test, without any luck. No Codes.
So am starting to thinking about giving up, but feel that i loose to much money if i scrap it. its a decent car so..

Sorry for my english....but i wil ad some pics of the car. Hope its ok.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107501...authkey=Gv1sRgCOSQ4Ljj_Ny95AE&feat=directlink <- the pictures is in the link.=)

So is there anyone that have a clue to what could be wrong?

;)

·
Banned
885 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
There is nothing at all wrong with your English, unlike your car!!!

Could it be that when the belt came off, it caused some damage to some cables or cable connections? Another possibility is that the belt somehow caused a vacuum leak.

The colour of the end of the spark plug which lives inside the engine is often a guide to what is happening. For example, If the plug end is wet with petrol, it is telling you that the mixture is not being ignited, so the problem may be with the plug itself, its HT lead (wire) or the distributor cap. If the other plugs are OK, then the problem will NOT be with the rotor arm, king lead (centre HT lead) or with the coil.
If the plug end is black with soot, the engine is running too rich (too much petrol OR not enough air). If the plug end is white, the engine is probably running too weak (too much air OR not enough petrol)
If it is coated in oil, you MAY have low compression pressure, which is allowing oil to be 'pumped' by the piston.

I don't think that there will be anything seriously wrong with your engine if it was OK before the belt came off.

I do wonder just why the alternator keeps coming loose. Is its pulley in alignment with the crankshaft pulley etc? Maybe it just needs new bolts.

If, after checking the above, the problem is still there, come back to us and we will see if we can think of anything else.

Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi again

Thank you for answer!

I tought it could be so simple that a conection or but i have not found one. Even my father and my best friend has not been able to find anything :S

Plugs: If i remember corectly the plugs where black and wet. And smelling gasoline. Also had a friend of mine check the spark at a plug when i was cranking the engine. It had spark, but a small one and its almost like it shorted out.

Alternator: I took out the bolt for the alternator, and there was no threads on the bolt, so yeah put in a new one. So hopefulley that was the solution. =)

Thank your again :thumbs_up::cool:

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
The belt may have knocked the crankshaft sensor due to its location on that engine. But I've heard of a few cases where the broken belt wraps around the crank pulley which causes the timing belt to jump a few teeth. So it would be worth double checking the timing as well. (In fact I'd check the timing first.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way to check the sensor if its work?
And how to check the timing?

I guess i have to remove the timing belt cover, but where is the "check" points..
or align marks

;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi again guys!

Thank you all wery much for all the help, as it ending up beeing the timing belt tensioner that failed. We took off the cover and run the engine manual and you could clearly see that the tensioner was bad.

So me and my friend changed the belt and pulley and of course set the timing.
The thing started right up! All though it didnt run right it was huge step in the right direction.

After that i found the old NGK plugs that where used when i bougth the car, cleaned them up a bit and remove the cheap BRISK.plugs i bough....and installed them. Runs awsome now! ;)

I have some pictures from the job, that if everything goes like it should there.will be pics later this day ;)

And again thanks

Here is the camshaft set to align mark:

Here is the crankshaft thingy.

New belt and tensioner

After the work was done it was time to wash the car..

So now the plan is to fix the exhaust. The rear exhaust hanger...the hooks that is (or should be) welded on the car it self is rusted so i have to figure a DIY fix for that. Instead i have use like a universal exhaust hanger that is bolted to the rear floor, but its not good enough. Any tips:

The car is pretty good for rust, but it has this in the rear...I guess welding is the correct way to do it but altough i have a decent welding tool, my skills are not good at all....

·
Banned
885 Posts
As you say, welding is the best method, but don't just weld it straight to the floor pan, it will possibly crack, as all of the weight will be in one small space.
It would be better to weld the bracket to a piece of sheet steel and weld the sheet steel to the floor pan - Don't weld the entire edges of the 'patch' to the floor, or there is a chance that the floor will crack all around the 'patch'.
An irregular shape for the 'patch' is better than a square or a circular piece. Weld (say) 25 mm, then leave about 30 mm before welding another 25. do this all the way round the 'patch' and everything should be OK.

I'm a little old fashioned, but still disconnect the battery before welding on a vehicle in the belief (hope!) that it will protect the electronics.

Regards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.