All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Coupe is dead :(

Going down the M27 at about 80 (overtaking in the fast lane) and the engine decided it wanted the conrod on the outside of the engine along with all its oil and water

Lee stayed forever calm as always and got us safely to the hard shoulder in a plume of smoke as the car started to fill with smoke, (too scarey) we all jumped out and got a safe distance and phoned the AA as it spilled the last of its oil and water...found the conrod end away behind the car

Just got the car recovered to where its going to be sorted. Lee's taking it off the road for a while to get the engine rebuilt with forged pistons and better rods.

Good news is we will be at TRAX but in MY Astra wearing Lee's 19'" Dare Evo 5's (got to find an upside in all this) ;)

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
oh myyy :(

sad sad news there! hope it gets sorted out nice n quick!!

Glad to hear you are all ok :) thats the important part ;)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well the coupes coming off the road and getting everything done properly, so it may take a while :( looking for a cheap run around to use while its being done...
Ah sorry to hear about that, must have been scary for you :(

So you need a cheap run around for a while, how about a corsa, ive heard there not bad little cars :D

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you need a cheap run around for a while, how about a corsa, ive heard there not bad little cars :D
Hehe well we are looking at one on ebay at present (looks hopefull ;)) I'd love to get back behind the wheel of a we corsa again....may let Lee use mine and i'll have that if we get it :D

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
even thats not that high milage for some of these new engines must have had a hard life.or just a dodgey part.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That's really bad! Glad to hear your OK!

Hope this makes you feel better: Saw a Corsa today in the central reservation (obviously not good!), saw it later at a garage with an RAC man (on the phone) car wouldn't start, I think he was asking for advice :laugh:

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Thats really strange for that to happen, see it wouldnt suprise me if you were revving the tits out of it and missed a gear or something along them lines :laugh: . But to go motorway speed is really odd, have you got the broken conrod by any chance??

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats really strange for that to happen, see it wouldnt suprise me if you were revving the tits out of it and missed a gear or something along them lines :laugh: . But to go motorway speed is really odd, have you got the broken conrod by any chance??
Yeah we have the conrod...even though we havent had chance to open up the engine yet :laugh:

As the engine was only rebuilt about 6 months ago, and the pistons, rods and rings were not replaced with new ones And its had a new cam fitted so it will have been running lean, it looks like the pistons etc have got hotter than they should and seized whilst accelerating so making the rod snap and puncture the casing...

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Blimey the perfect explanation, anyone would of thought your an engineer or mechanic :laugh:

But surely you would of noticed the engine temp to rise :confused: especially by that much that the pistons would expand and 'grip' the bore. the fuel/air mixture must of been stupidly lean to cause detonation and the deformation of the pistons etc. Having a look in the engine might clear it up a bit.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blimey the perfect explanation, anyone would of thought your an engineer or mechanic :laugh:

But surely you would of noticed the engine temp to rise :confused: especially by that much that the pistons would expand and 'grip' the bore. the fuel/air mixture must of been stupidly lean to cause detonation and the deformation of the pistons etc. Having a look in the engine might clear it up a bit.
The temperature wont rise as it water temperature not bore temperature

The early engines are weak on rods, we found out today :rolleyes: and as i said that was one of the things that we didnt replace during the rebuild :(

I'm certainly no mechanic but i do like to listen and learn ;) :D

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The temperature wont rise as it water temperature not bore temperature
Would reflect a bit on the water temp as the water is in a jacket around the bore, then again im probably wrong :laugh:

Thats a sorry site laura :( but dammmmn you definitely got allcorsas best engine mega death!!! :eek: :laugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts