All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody no if you can use an external HDD to play mp3's off using the USB port in my car?
I tried an 8gb memory stick and it worked fine, but I've read that there might be a max size of HDD and a certain amount of files/folders etc, also a format problem (i've seen FAT32 will work??)
Any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Bit of a gamble imo
On the ones i've used only certain brands of memory sticks or SD cards would work so no one to know if an external HD would work unless you try it but when you can get 64gb memory sticks i'd go for one of them instead

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The HDD I have needs a 1A USB supply, which is fine on most desktops, but most laptops only supply 500mA. I can still use it with them because I have a USB cake with 2 plugs on it to get the full 1A.
I imagine a head unit will only have a 500mA supply though, so it won't power up the HDD, and won't have a second USB port to use the adapter cable.
I don't know if this is the case for all external HDDs, but make sure you check before you buy anything.

Also worth remembering that HDDs don't like vibration or sudden movements so it may crash quite often and not last long.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Get a SSD if you''re experiencing HDD crashing problems.

Also, the USB post should supply enough power to power up and entertain the power needed on the HDD. If not get one of these (like what danny said):

Where the main one goes to the MP3 player and the secondry one is plugged into your cig lighter port via a adapter. That should be enough power.

Its mainly up to the mp3 player if it will support the size and partition format, some don't support NTFS and only FAT32 etc rather than the power output to the HDD.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The HDD's ive been looking at don't need an additional power source, just a USB connection.
I've also read that external hard drives can handle bumps etc more than internal desktop drives.
my HU is 'CD40 USB' - does anybody no anywhere i can find out additional info on it?

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
The HDD's ive been looking at don't need an additional power source, just a USB connection.
You need to re-read what has been posted :thumbs_up:

I've also read that external hard drives can handle bumps etc more than internal desktop drives.
That depends on lots of things. Most external hard drives are the same as internal ones and vice versa so i'd say that's a lie. Only SSD drives can handle shakes and bumps no problem but they're expensive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts