All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I somehow got a virus on my pc on or around Monday/Tuesday. Unknown to me it was sending out abusive emails off my pc to people all around the world.
Because of this my ISP decided to cut off my internet. It's taken 2 days for them to allow me back on, and after spending all day doing virus scans and the like, my pc is still infected.
I need to check emails and my bank online but I daren't as the virus is rated as a 10/10 risk.
It's pissing me right off!!!!

Just thought I'd rant.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
i know the feeling lee - i've had to reboot my computer god knows how many times due to viruses and spyware. i have always used norton but it ain't the best for spyware related viruses. a good sofgtware package that i bought and gets good wrie ups in pc mags is "webroot spy sweeper" which can be used alongside any previous virus protectors you have on your pc. only costs about £25 from places like pc world and most pc mags i've read recommend it and having used it for nearly a year now and had no problems since, I would recommend it to.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a tightarse so prefer to use the freeware stuff.
I have AVG, spywareblaster, S&D, Ad-Aware, HiJack This, Spyware Guard, and just about to install ZoneAlarm firewall.
Never really had that much of a problem with viruses/spyware as I can usually get rid but this ones being a right persistant bugger.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Used ZoneAlarm pro since about 1999 and had no problems for awhile now, along with AVG, Ad-Aware, peer gaurdian.

*Runs off to touch lots of wood* :laugh:

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
haha i run nod32 (av) and Outpost firewall, both scan for spyware, normally Outpost will pick it up and as it does nod32 locks it and deletes it!

nothing better than the two working together ;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you can't get rid of a virus try this, it's so simple but I havn't had this method fail on me yet. Assuming you're using Windows, click the start button, then click "Run", type in "msconfig"and press enter. Click the "Startup" tab, and look through the list for anything that looks dodgy, if you know the name of the virus, try looking for that. If you happen to find the virus, untick the box, in the "Command" column try and locate where the file is (the tickboxes are just shortcuts to load up the startup applications), click ok and restart. That will stop the virus from running when you start up your pc. Navigate your way to the file listed next to the box you unticked, and simply....delete! If you couldn't get rid of it before it was probably because it was running, meaning you can't delete the file, but stopping it running on startup stops it from running and you can do what you like with the file. Hope that helps in some way, sorry I'm not the best at explaining how to do things lol. Don't delete anything unless your sure it's not needed though! If you KNOW it's the virus then delete it, but if your not 100% certain, don't do it. If you untick a box and find it's not the virus and you want to put it back into startup, just go back to "msconfig" and re-tick the box. Only try it if you're happy about it, I can't be held responsible if anything goes wrong, I'm just giving an idea lol.

So much easier to just re-install Windows if I get a big problem that I can't fix easily :D lol.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that Lee, that's pretty much a method I use anyway. The thing with this one is that it kept re-installing itself, I think it had something running in the boots sector.
Anyway it's all clear for now and I'm using my new firewall.

So far I have:
1699 intrusions blocked since install (only two days ago).
557 of which were high risk.

All down to some weedy little geeks who have nothing better to do than hack into someone's pc.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a right pain in the a*se.
I must have used about 4-5 different virus scanners, each picking up something the other missed, plus an equal amount of spyware programs, plus a little bit of anti-virus knowledge I had, and also the wonderful library that is the internet.
It's took over two days non stop to get it all clean. I would've normally just formatted and re-installed windows but all the files for this forum are on my harddrive.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm now getting the blue screen of death. Pain in the a*se that it is.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got cut off again. That's twice now.
If I get another virus they're going to suspend my inetrnet account.
Had to do a full format of my pc and hope that solves it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Fcuk me mate, wtf's going on there, your pc sounds like its prone for viruses no matter what.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's normally like a fortress. Wiped it clean and it seems ok so far.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts