All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you will know, corsa's are known for the arches,bumpers etc fading. There are many different ways to sort this out, heat guns, spraying them, back to black however i have recently found something that is readily available, dirt cheap and lasts for months and months...

Materials needed:

500ml bottle of boiled linseed oil - B&Q - £5 or less and is enough to do more corsa's than you could shake a stick at.
Pair of latex gloves - Marigolds will do, or just be careful
Small sponge cut in half
Old rag to wipe off any that you get on the paintwork/glass

First of all the arches need to be clean and bone dry, preferably wiped down with a decent tar and glue remover to ensure they are completely stripped. You also need to take into consideration that the linseed oil takes time to cure..1 hour and its touch dry, 4 hours to completely cure..So if you are going to do this outdoors its best to check the weather first, ideally this is best done in the garage or somewhere undercover and sheltered from the wind (as it will blow dust/leaves/whatever onto the fresh linseed oil and it will stick to it!)

Taking that you have cleaned all the bits you want to restore (this works on EVERYTHING plastic on the exterior of the car) put your gloves on and apply a tiny amount to the sponge and carefully work it into the plastic trim on the desired area of your car until you have a dark glossy finish, dry to get a even coating and avoid runs in the linseed oil as if left they will dry like that when it cures. Once you have done everything you want to on the car go round the car once more and go over any areas that require a little bit more if the plastic trim has absorbed more than you have put on. I find if you really take your time it is possible to do everything without getting it on the bodywork or windows in roughly half an hour..dependant on how badly faded your trim is. Once done the rest is just waiting for it to cure, after an hour you can add another coat if required or you want an extra glossy finish, if not it will be completely dry in four hours and be wash/rain/weatherproof and look as good as new and if done properly will last for at least 6 months.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stripped mine back the weekend and did the entire cars exterior trim with linseed oil, looks exactly like it did when i did it on saturday and its rained heavily twice and i washed the car this evening. Will post photos up tomorrow, and possibly update them on a weekly basis so people can see its durability. :)

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Heat guns are about £2 more, last longer and much easier?

Pics of results? Am interested

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will post them up tomorrow :)

Although heatguns are couple of quid more, its easy enough to overdo it if you are not confident or unsure about what to do. Can't really make a pigs ear of it with linseed oil. The same stuff is used on cricket bats and can be found on ebay for around £2 for 100ml..which is more than enough.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I have seen the oil used before, but I just couldnt bring myself to put oil over somebones car.
Plus it will be all....oily

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was taken today, i did wash and towel dry the car yesterday but it has been in heavy rain for a couple of days too. If you look closely at the splitter it is a little patchy on the corner were i need to go over it again.

Will post another over the weekend and keep updating the photos so anyone wanting to see the durability over a period of time will be able to see how it holds up against the elements.

·
Premium Member
18,555 Posts
Wouldn't take long to strip a section back
That concerns me a little bit :shocked:

:rolleyes::shocked:
:laugh: It was from a neighbour who is a detailer, apparently it's one of his secrets so he wasn't willing to share what it actually was. It smelt a bit like petrol but he said it wasn't...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That concerns me a little bit :shocked:.
Im a detailer by trade and have a few different products that would take it off in a couple of minutes that aren't available to the public.

Just read on some other sites that they put thinners into the mixture too
white spirit is better, thinners will prolong the curing process.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.