All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been running smoothly since today and the heat the fan didnt cut in was right at 100 i managed to get it home im guessing its the fan switch at fault? can someone confirm its a 1.2 8v the fan did used to cut in jjust before 100 now it went past and didnt cut in at all!!:eek:

cheers guys

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
They usually cut in just before the red. Best way to test is to bridge the two wires on the thermoswith on the radiator. It will cut in the relay so the current isn't much. When the wires are bridged the fan should run (ignition on of course) - if it doesn't then check the relay and the fan motor.

You can connect a switch across those wires to give manual control.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Good trick is to turn heaters on full heat, his will cool engine if you're stuck.

Obviously best to fix problem, the above is just temporary if you're stuck./
If its getting hot quick, when did you last replace the coolant properly? It doesn't last forever

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
As Taurus has said, try bridging the fan cooling switch on the radiator. When looking under the bonnet it is plugged into the bottom left hand side of the radiator (driver's side). Unplug that lead and bridge the connector with a paperclip. The fan should start up straightaway so make sure nothing is obstructing it when you bridge the switch.

If it does kick in then that suggests it's the sensor at fault, so just replace the sensor that the switch plugs into. It just unbolts and a new one bolts straight back in. They only cost around £10-£15 on eBay.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ive just read this thread and i had doubts about my fan aswell. ive never heard mine come on, im going to paperclip test mine aswell. Is there a way to make the fan start earlier in the temp range? or is near 98-100 (which ive read is what other people say) normal for corsa b's?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers guys so just to clarify on the switch on the radiator i will unplug the wiring going to it and get a paperclip and bridge it between the 2 pins in the switch bolted onto the radiator and with iginition on right?

just so i know for tomorrow if i do that and the fan works this means i need a new sitche that goes into the rad right?

cheers guys im not too used to all these sensors etc

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Or a cool running thermostat.

My xe one used to kick in at 95.

There's no reason on these engines that you need to kick fan in earlier than standard.

Change the coolant to fresh stuff, this will also manage heat better

Reactions: corsaez

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was thinking of over riding as well but will change the switch and the coolant tomorrow just want someone to confirm i got it right in my other post above on what to do?

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
cheers guys so just to clarify on the switch on the radiator i will unplug the wiring going to it and get a paperclip and bridge it between the 2 pins in the switch bolted onto the radiator and with iginition on right?

just so i know for tomorrow if i do that and the fan works this means i need a new sitche that goes into the rad right?

cheers guys im not too used to all these sensors etc
No you bridge the connector on the wiring, not the sensor itself.

And yeah if the fan kicks in that points to the sensor needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got you, the actual wiring plug i pull out i will bridge the 2 pins! cheers i got it wrong way around(been a long hot day!)
im guessing if the fan doesnt kick in it points to the relay, fuse or the fan itself

:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just tried bridging the plug and the fan ran, plug looks as though it had melted onto the old original sensor?! but i cleaned it of got a new fan switch to go in the rad and will change the coolant/bleed the system and see what happenss :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fixed! :) was the sender in the rad , put a new one in new coolant flushed system bled system now the fan cuts in between 92-95 never goes past 95 perfect! nice easy fix!

shaggy- with any of my cars i check the fan kicks in its quite important as you never know when you will be in a traffic jam and it cooks itself! probably will run more efficiently too

·
Banned
885 Posts
Im in traffic everyday for around 30-40mins. Temp still same? Should be OK?

Sorry for taking over your thread a bit - Just related!
As most of your driving is on the M way, air flow through the radiator keeps the temperature down (providing that it isn't the M25!!) Under these conditions, the fan would rarely, if ever, cut in.
When you are standing in traffic, there is no air flow through the radiator, therefore the fan cuts in to keep the temperature down. As your temperature is staying constant, it suggests that everything is normal and the fan is working OK.
Regards.

·
Registered
158 Posts
well i tested mine today, pleased to say my fan works but it looks like the sender that is in the side of the radiator is dead. gonna buy a new one. thankyou for the info on here, glad i found out what the issue was before it became a problem. cheers guys :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My corsa is running a lot smoother also and nice to know the temp doesn't go past 95 anymore when in traffic (which is a lot for me !) :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts