All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Firstly I'm brand new to this site, but it's already helped massively except for this one little annoying issue.

I have a corsa 1997 R reg, 1.4i, x14sz and im trying to read any fault codes I may have just to check things are fine and if I need to replace any sensors. The engine hesitates on acel. decel. and at 2,000 rpm theres a small power drop (I suspect its the egr, but im going off topic).

I have a 16 pin diagnostic plug with only 6 pins occupied (pins 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 16). I've bough at odb-II cable then realised thats not working with my car as its too old, or whatever.

I read up on the whole paperclip test as described with topbuzz, but when I connect the pins the engine light goes out and nothing happens... no codes, just no light.

If I start the engine, the light flashes rapidly.

Basically, I have no idea what kind of interface this socket is or why the paperclip test isnt working. I have no idea what the pinout of the socket is, or have seen any pics or descriptions of anyone with only 6 out of 16 pins occupied.

Someone pleaseeeeeeee help! Thanks!

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
Sounds silly but when you say you attach it and nothing happens you do have the ignition on right?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
OK. Firstly I'm brand new to this site, but it's already helped massively except for this one little annoying issue.

I have a corsa 1997 R reg, 1.4i, x14sz and im trying to read any fault codes I may have just to check things are fine and if I need to replace any sensors. The engine hesitates on acel. decel. and at 2,000 rpm theres a small power drop (I suspect its the egr, but im going off topic).

I have a 16 pin diagnostic plug with only 6 pins occupied (pins 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 16). I've bough at odb-II cable then realised thats not working with my car as its too old, or whatever.

I read up on the whole paperclip test as described with topbuzz, but when I connect the pins the engine light goes out and nothing happens... no codes, just no light.

If I start the engine, the light flashes rapidly.

Basically, I have no idea what kind of interface this socket is or why the paperclip test isnt working. I have no idea what the pinout of the socket is, or have seen any pics or descriptions of anyone with only 6 out of 16 pins occupied.

Someone pleaseeeeeeee help! Thanks!
Dom't put the paper clip in random sockets yeah? lol.

Also, like brad said, ignition on?

There is a tutorial on here somewhere ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Ignition is on. Just to clarify, when the ignition is on and the dash comes alive (including the engine light) the only thing that happens with the paperclip test is that the engine light goes out. Ive waited for a few mins but nothing at all happens.

I checked with a multimeter and 2 of the pins are reading +12 V and 1 of the pins is reading +2 V or somewhere in that region.

If I knew what kind of interface the diag. uses then I'd happily buy a code reader but I cant seem to find it listed anywhere... sad times

Thanks for your replies guys

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
pins 5+6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what's a air mass meter sensor?
Is a sensor usually found between the airbox and throttle body. It measures how much air is being sucked into the engine. Its one of the most important sensors as it directly affects how much fuel is injected into the engine and call tell the ecu how much load is applied to the engine.

If you're having hesitation issues and poor acceleration then this could be a cluprit.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
hang on, is yours post facelift?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Is a sensor usually found between the airbox and throttle body. It measures how much air is being sucked into the engine. Its one of the most important sensors as it directly affects how much fuel is injected into the engine and call tell the ecu how much load is applied to the engine.

If you're having hesitation issues and poor acceleration then this could be a cluprit.
you sure you dont mean AFM or MAF

1 - 13 of 13 Posts