All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 53 plate Corsa will not start in the mornings/cold, the engine will turn but won't start, only after a load of trys will it sometimes start. Also when I turn the ignition on but don't try to start it the emissions light keeps flashing and there is a ticking under the bonnet at the same time.

Once the engine has started and is warm it is fine, no problems starting the engine at all. And when it warms up the flashing emissions light stays on like normal.

I've had a fault code of faulty coolant sensor so I've had this replaced but no joy.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Which engine?

And when was it last serviced?

Also - the emissions light isn't meant to stay on? Are you sure it's the emissions light and not the engine management light (which isn't meant to say on either)? But if the EML flashes on starting that's a sign of an immobiliser issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 1.2.
Also it's the light that looks like an engine, not the one with the spanner across it.
This light has always stayed on when the ignition is switched on but goes off when the engine starts

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Sounds like the EML to me.

In your first post you said "the light stays on like normal" - and in your last post you said it goes off when the engine starts (which is what it is meant to do.)

If that is flashing it's an immobiliser issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the ignition is on (key to II) the light always stayed on.
When the engine has started (key to III) the light goes off.

Now when the ignition is on (key to II) the engine light flashes and I can hear ticking under the bonnet. But only when it's cold.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
As said, a flashing EML usually is a signal that the immobiliser is operating.

But the ticking noise is a sign of low battery voltage - the solenoid isn't engaging due to low volts. Cold weather can drop battery voltage, so check what reading yours is giving. With a multimeter a health battery will read 12.5v with the engine not running. Any lower than 12v and the battery is losing a cell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts