All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im aware this could be wheel bearings or something break related, the noise is specifically louder at 35-40 and 70-80, but is non existent or unhearable when turning left, i have checked both wheels for play but both are firmly in place, hence any additional knowledge or tests i could do would be grand and appreciated, guna pop it into a garage nonetheless just getting a diagnostic in advance, thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you may be on the money with bearings or brakes - also bear in mind for bearings, you dont want the nut to be screwed onto the hub too tightly, this is bad news for your bearings and could cause excessive wear, damage, seizing and with this alot of noise too.

Try loosening your spindle nut a little and see if the humming goes away. As a general rule of thumb the nut needs to be tight enough to eliminate play but not so tight that the washer behind the nut can-not be moved when force is applied to its edge.

You may want to check the condition of the bearings too, there needs to be ALOT of grease on those suckers.

Check the wear of brakes, and possibly warped discs. - standard stuff really

On the note of brakes, sounds like they may be rubbing. Try jacking the car up and spinning the wheels one at a time by hand. If you dont hear anything, regardless of how quiet, it may be your bearings, if you do, its likely your brakes are rubbing (or something between the pad and the disc is lodged.

Question?
at speed, how does the car react under heavy braking. wheel vibrations would indicate soiled pads or warped discs.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you may be on the money with bearings or brakes - also bear in mind for bearings, you dont want the nut to be screwed onto the hub too tightly, this is bad news for your bearings and could cause excessive wear, damage, seizing and with this alot of noise too.

Try loosening your spindle nut a little and see if the humming goes away. As a general rule of thumb the nut needs to be tight enough to eliminate play but not so tight that the washer behind the nut can-not be moved when force is applied to its edge.

You may want to check the condition of the bearings too, there needs to be ALOT of grease on those suckers.

Check the wear of brakes, and possibly warped discs. - standard stuff really

On the note of brakes, sounds like they may be rubbing. Try jacking the car up and spinning the wheels one at a time by hand. If you dont hear anything, regardless of how quiet, it may be your bearings, if you do, its likely your brakes are rubbing (or something between the pad and the disc is lodged.

Question?
at speed, how does the car react under heavy braking. wheel vibrations would indicate soiled pads or warped discs.

Hope this helps!
i span both wheels when jacked and only when rapidly spinning forward then backwards did any sort of sound occur, like a something catching briefly, the braking seems to be fine, it tends to dive to the left sometimes under intense braking but i checked the pads and they seemed ok, this was at night with a xenon torch though and seeing through cav slabs isnt easy, guna nip it to a garage asap

·
Registered
9 Posts
i span both wheels when jacked and only when rapidly spinning forward then backwards did any sort of sound occur, like a something catching briefly, the braking seems to be fine, it tends to dive to the left sometimes under intense braking but i checked the pads and they seemed ok, this was at night with a xenon torch though and seeing through cav slabs isnt easy, guna nip it to a garage asap
Only way to get a good look at the brakes is to remove them... If it seems to catch could be a buckled / warped disc. If so, its only slight if you need to spin the wheel pretty fast. Let us know what the outcome of the garage guys is!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts