All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 03 corsa c.she drove out in this snow today and all was well but she said whilst driving the wind scream front wipers just stopped working.
The motor works as I put 12v to the motor and it worked OK.the fuses all look good,and the rear wiper is OK.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi there i think if the rear wiper is working the fuse and supply to the switch should be ok....you say if you apply power to the motor the wipers work normally......so i would be thinking along the lines of a faulty wiper switch or a problem with the BCM, trouble is this weather if the blades get stuck to the screen and you turn them on anything can happen....i would check for a 12 volt supply to the motor when you turn the switch on and off. does it work on fast or intermittent..? from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His mate, yer I put a 12v battery to the wiper motor and it worked so I don't think it's a motor issue,
I took the switch off the steering and took the switch apart but to the eye it looks like it's making contact but I've noticed the switch isn't a standard on off switch, it uses resistors on each different position which I'm guessing that the control unit translates then sends a comand to may be a relay?

I don't really know how to test such a switch without knowing what resistance I should get at each position. Not sure how I can test the control module or relay either to be honest 😯

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
No well you wont be able to test the BCM, but you can test to see what it does, if you get totally stuck i will have a look at circuit in Haynes Manual, the switch shouldn't really have resistors on?...the speed is usually done by selecting different brushes on the motor, what i would personalty do is get a 12 volt circuit tester and turn the ignition on and see if any of the wiper motor wires are live, if not turn them on to slow and check again, then fast and check again, and on delay, its not likely that the switch would fail on all 3 positions....i have a feeling with that, that the wiper switch operated the BCM, and the output from that works the motor.....there might be a relay involved somewhere.....from Fred in Essex.

His mate, yer I put a 12v battery to the wiper motor and it worked so I don't think it's a motor issue,
I took the switch off the steering and took the switch apart but to the eye it looks like it's making contact but I've noticed the switch isn't a standard on off switch, it uses resistors on each different position which I'm guessing that the control unit translates then sends a comand to may be a relay?

I don't really know how to test such a switch without knowing what resistance I should get at each position. Not sure how I can test the control module or relay either to be honest 😯

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No well you wont be able to test the BCM, but you can test to see what it does, if you get totally stuck i will have a look at circuit in Haynes Manual, the switch shouldn't really have resistors on?...the speed is usually done by selecting different brushes on the motor, what i would personalty do is get a 12 volt circuit tester and turn the ignition on and see if any of the wiper motor wires are live, if not turn them on to slow and check again, then fast and check again, and on delay, its not likely that the switch would fail on all 3 positions....i have a feeling with that, that the wiper switch operated the BCM, and the output from that works the motor.....there might be a relay involved somewhere.....from Fred in Essex.
Quick update. The front wipers must be on a different fuse to the rear as I found a fuse compartment hidden by a cover within the fuse box. There was a fuse blown which is for the front wipers,
Sadly I've replaced the fuse but it blow that too.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ah right yes i know the little black lid....but is it a wiper fuse?...i think you have a corsa C, i have list of the fuses will try to put it below....if it is for wipers you make a short on them...should be fuse 23, second on in from the yellow relay, under black cover...Fred

Vauxhall Corsa C, 2001, 1 Litre, fuses and Relay's etc.
Fuses

1 Central control unit
2 Engine control unit
3 Instruments, information display, horn, hazard warning lights flashers, immobilizer
4 Number plate lamp
5 Electric window lifters
6 Automatic transmission
7 Headlamp washer system
8 Starter
9 Fuel injection system, fuel pump
10 Horn
11 Central control unit
12 Information display, infotainment system, radio
13 Anti-theft alarm system
14 Exterior mirrors
15 Windscreen wash system
16 Courtesy lamp
17 Central control unit
18 Sun Roof
19 Anti-theft alarm system
20 Window lifters
21 N/U
22 Central control unit
23 Windscreen wipers
24 Infotainment system, information display, courtesy lamp, instruments EPS, Immobilizer
25 Brake lamps
26 (Petrol) cigg lighter. (Diesel) automatic transmission, fuel injection system, reverse lamps, cigg lighter
27 Seat heating
28 Seat heating
29 Windscreen wash system
30 (Petrol) Engine control unit. (Diesel) Engine control unit, stationary heater
31 Air conditioning system
32 Heated rear window
33 N/U
34 Diesel filter heater
35 Tilt /Slide sunroof, window lifters, radio
36 Dipped Headlamp beam
37 Dipped Headlamp beam
38 Tail lamp left, parking lamp left
39 Tail lamp right, parking lamp right
40 N/U
41 Fog lights
42 Fog tail lamp
43 Main beam left
44 Main beam right
45 Air conditioning system, heater blower motor
46 Engine control unit
47 Heated rear window
48 Starter
49 EPS
50 ABS
51 (Petrol) Easytronic. (Diesel) Engine control unit
52 Cooling fan petrol or diesel engine with or without Air Con
53 Air conditioning system (petrol and diesel, different fuses)

Relays
1 Cooling Fan (A) (Green)
2 Cooling fan (C)
3 Cooling fan (D)
4 A/C Compressor
5 Cooling fan (B)
6 N/U
7 ECU (Pink /Purple)
8 Signal converter module, vehicle speed left (orange)
9 Right signal converters
10 Fuel Pump (Pink/Purple)
11 Heated rear window (grey /beige)
12 Washer pump and headlight
13 Auxililary Ignition (yellow)
14 Starter (yellow)
15 Ignition (yellow)
16 Rear fog (small black)
17 N/U
18 PL R Park (small black)
19 High beam (small black)
20 PL L Park (small black)
21 Low beam (small black)

The Box next to the battery, held down with 7 torx screws. (weatherproof when refitting top)

Relays

1 K24D dead lock
2 K24A drivers door
3 K24C unlock
4 K24B lock
5 K74 rear washer pump
6 K70 front washer pump
7 K67 horn alarm
8 K54 licence plate
9 K68B wiper stage 2
10 K47 trumpet horn
11 K69A wiper stage 1
12 K56 rear wiper
13 K66 turn signal, yellow large relay at front, twin section inside cover.
14 N/U
15 N/U
16 N/U
17 BCM (Body Control Module or Multi timer)

..................From Fred in Essex 2017

Quick update. The front wipers must be on a different fuse to the rear as I found a fuse compartment hidden by a cover within the fuse box. There was a fuse blown which is for the front wipers,
Sadly I've replaced the fuse but it blow that too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I might have cured it now, I got a 2nd hand wiper unit from a breakers and so far this isn't blowing fuses, bit early to say for sure though.
My reconning was the switch in the motor was may be shorting out as the motor only drew about 6 amps when I bridged the power direct to the motor.

Cheers guys, I'll let you know if it didn't work though

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Ok just a tip on blowing fuses.....instead of wasting fuses, but a 21 watt bulb across the fuse holder, if it glows at 21 watt you have short, if its dull then you dont, i would do that, if its bright disconnect the motor see if it goes dim.....Fred.

Well I might have cured it now, I got a 2nd hand wiper unit from a breakers and so far this isn't blowing fuses, bit early to say for sure though.
My reconning was the switch in the motor was may be shorting out as the motor only drew about 6 amps when I bridged the power direct to the motor.

Cheers guys, I'll let you know if it didn't work though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok just a tip on blowing fuses.....instead of wasting fuses, but a 21 watt bulb across the fuse holder, if it glows at 21 watt you have short, if its dull then you dont, i would do that, if its bright disconnect the motor see if it goes dim.....Fred.
That's a great idea,
Any way sorted now, since putting a 2nd hand wiper unit in its been fine.
Cheers guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has a 03 corsa c.she drove out in this snow today and all was well but she said whilst driving the wind scream front wipers just stopped working.
The motor works as I put 12v to the motor and it worked OK.the fuses all look good,and the rear wiper is OK.

Any ideas?
I've replaced the motor and the the linkege and the stalk and I've checked the fewses I cant find the problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts