All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Before I can ask my question I think a bit of background info is necessary. I bought a second hand Corsa Classic 2000 1.6l. I wrote it off (rolled once, and stopped on roof, was upside down for around 15-30 min with engine off) :palm: My dad's friend is a mechanic and he claimed that mechanically everything was good so we bought a second hand Corsa Lite body (I think a '99 or 2000 model) and moved all the mechanics and electronics over. Engine, gearbox, ECU. The Classic had power steering and air-con. Supposedly there was no space for these in the Lite. So it no longer has power steering or air-con.

Due to the lack of power steering, air-con and the lighter body I was expecting better fuel economy. (In classic I had average 12km/l or approx. 35MPG). The consumption has remained the same....

Oil, petrol and air filters have all been replaced.

I have been trying to find anyway to improve my economy. So a few questions:
1) What is best rpm's for cruising and shifting? (Have heard stories about opel engines being high rev etc)

2) Should the ECU be reprogrammed? (Am thinking maybe it is managing fuel and air based on heavier body - I am going to try the ECU reset tonight and see if that makes any difference)

3) Would the gear box and different body play any influence in economy?

Forgive me if I have had made some major errors in my logic. Ask me about computers, cars I still need a lot of learning.

Please feel free to offer any other advice short of a rag and lighter (I have considered it greatly but can't afford a new one....)

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
35mpg is normal for the 1.6, they're not designed to be economical.
ECU maps are expensive and I don't think you coud do anything for fuel economy on the standard ECU anyway.

Never tested what's best for fuel economy, but I change at 1500rpm when I'm being sensible.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Hi there,

Before I can ask my question I think a bit of background info is necessary. I bought a second hand Corsa Classic 2000 1.6l. I wrote it off (rolled once, and stopped on roof, was upside down for around 15-30 min with engine off) :palm: My dad's friend is a mechanic and he claimed that mechanically everything was good so we bought a second hand Corsa Lite body (I think a '99 or 2000 model) and moved all the mechanics and electronics over. Engine, gearbox, ECU. The Classic had power steering and air-con. Supposedly there was no space for these in the Lite. So it no longer has power steering or air-con.

Due to the lack of power steering, air-con and the lighter body I was expecting better fuel economy. (In classic I had average 12km/l or approx. 35MPG). The consumption has remained the same....

Oil, petrol and air filters have all been replaced.

I have been trying to find anyway to improve my economy. So a few questions:
1) What is best rpm's for cruising and shifting? (Have heard stories about opel engines being high rev etc)

for fuel economy get into top gear as quickly as possible, but dont let the engine labour.

2) Should the ECU be reprogrammed? (Am thinking maybe it is managing fuel and air based on heavier body - I am going to try the ECU reset tonight and see if that makes any difference)

body weighs the same, and it learns the way the engine is being used so will self adjust.

3) Would the gear box and different body play any influence in economy?

no.

Forgive me if I have had made some major errors in my logic. Ask me about computers, cars I still need a lot of learning.

Please feel free to offer any other advice short of a rag and lighter (I have considered it greatly but can't afford a new one....)
35mpg from a 16 is good, i only saw 30 from my old one.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
be happy, ive got a 1.4 Automatic, thing does about 25 round town and im lucky to get above 32mpg. getting 35mpg from a 1.6 isnt a bad thing thats pretty decent

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. Pretty disappointed though... Im in RSA and between petrol price and that consumption traveling works out pretty expensive. Had a friend a few years back that claimed to get like 42mpg from a 2003 classic I'm sure he said he had a 1.6. Can only imagine I remembered wrong. Must have been a 1.4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts