All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, 1st post so hello :)

ive had my corsa for 3 years, never had a thing wrong with it, til now lol

turn ignition, all lights as normal, fuel pump doesnt prime, can hear the relay click though.

swapped the 2 purple relays, no difference.

had my diagnostics machine on, no errors found (also no ML light)

how do i test what has gone wrong? the pump itself? or ive read the crank sensor i think?

dont think its the imobiliser, as once it did fire for a second, then died (asume it found a fume of petrol to fire)

what or where shall i start?

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can access the pump under the rear seat.

Put a multimeter on the leads going to the pump, and see if it gets voltage when the ignition is turned on.

Can also tap a 12v power source directly to the fuel pump to see if it turns over or is dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can access the pump under the rear seat.

Put a multimeter on the leads going to the pump, and see if it gets voltage when the ignition is turned on.

Can also tap a 12v power source directly to the fuel pump to see if it turns over or is dead.
yea i found where the pump is, there ared about 4 wires on the harness, just test each one yea?

if there is no power there, then what?

il book it to an auto electrician if cant resolve this weekend....

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes, the idea was to test so that you would know that either:
  1. the fuel pump is dead, solution replace fuel pump, problem solved; or
  2. the fuel pump is OK, but there's something causing it to not get power (i.e. faulty wiring, or even more serious electrical issues like dodgy ecu, etc)

Obviously if your problem is #2, then you need to do even more troubleshooting by first testing the wiring independent of the ecu. If the wiring tests out ok, then you'd probably want to swap in another ecu to see if that sorts it.

Also, please tell us what year/body/engine you have.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Just to note that when you turn on the ignition the fuel pump relay with click to provide a 'prime' to the fuel system - then it switches off and waits for a signal from the crankshaft sensor before it clicks back on again.

So the fact that you are hearing a click doesn't rule the crankshaft sensor out, you may just be hearing the initial priming operate.

The snag is that when the crankshaft sensor fails you will sometimes get an incorrect rpm code, but often you don't. So don't rely entirely on diagnostic readers - they are not 100% accurate.

The other purple relay will be the injector relay. Make sure they are both working or fuel may be reaching the fuel rail but not getting any further.

The four wires on the pump are two for the power to run the pump and two for the fuel gauge sender. A wiring diagram will tell you which is which. As gb33 has suggested, check if power is reaching the pump, and test the pump off the car.

And welcome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
didnt have time to have a look myself so just gave to local auto electrician,

said the fuel pump itself is dead.

ordered one today, will fit it myself tomo and report back :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts