All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Some of you may know that I've had several problems in the past with the throttle body, ICV, TPS etc, but the car has been running fine for well over a year now.

Recently I've noticed a faint smell of fumes in the cabin when sat in traffic (it goes away when moving). It only take a matter of seconds before being noticable and just turning the fan off cuts it right down. It's almost certainly coming from the engine bay, but I can't identify the source with the bonnet up.

Possibly unrelated but about a month ago I noticed that the oil level was low (I usually check it at least every few weeks so it must have been fairly sudden). I topped it up and it's remained steady since. There was no obviously leak under the car.

A couple of weekends ago I took off the breather pipes (after searching through the forum) and gave them a clean out (there were a bit messy but not blocked). When I did this I noticed that the blue connector into the side of the inlet manifold was completely blocked. I used a pin to unblock it and reconnected everything. The smell definitely improved, but was still there.

In the last couple of weeks the smell has got worse again and I've also had a really strong egg smell in the cabin while cruising that only lasted for a minute or so each time.

The most recent development is a lack power under load. It's only happened twice (that I've noticed) but both times has been uphill with the engine under load (yeah I know it's a 1.0l!). The power has literally dropped off by probably 25% and then seems to pick up again after a few seconds - very disconcerting on the motorway!

Sorry for the long description, but I wanted to make sure all the facts are here in case anyone recognises any or all of the symptoms.

Car was serviced about 5 months ago...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New development today....

Whistling noise from the front of the car, but only when the engine is slightly under load.... Not all of the time, but enough to notice, even with the radio on.

Could this be from a split hose / pipe? (I checked them recently but could see any problems)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE

Problem now solved!

I tried finding the source of the fuel smell on a calm day and narrowed it down to the top of the engine block. I noticed some discolouration near the end of the coil pack, so removed it and found that the third spark plug (driver's side) was loose. It turned out to be broken as well.

I've replaced the spark plug and it has solved all the problems!

I hope this helps someone with similar symptoms...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts