All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mother-in-laws corsa has been making some strange noise's besides cliify richard on the stero,

its a L reg, 1.2, 4 gear (yes thats right 4 gears, 5 if you cound reverse)

she was told it was iether the bearings or the cv joint, and that as her tire is wearing on on side her tie rod end could be damaged as well, and this is on the passenger sidewhere the noise is coming from

so me being a nice son-in-law replaced bearings, cv joint, tie rod end which was faulty and the bottom ball was messed up as well so i changed that,

but the noise is still there, everytime you go left its like a loud vibration you can feel in the steering wheel, bit like the noise a jack hammer makes but not as loud and a bit muffled, its hard to explain really,

does anyone have any ideas, im stuck completely, i know its old now but the engine runs a dream, so she want to keep it going, i appreciate any ideas

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
I think the midget by the engine has got hold of a jack hammer.... Take a look and get it off him ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds like an engine mount bush or a gear box bush.
funny you should say that, i was out there not long ago wiggleing everything, an i noticed the rear engine/gearbox mount (as the heynes manual calls it) wobbled alot when i was movinging it by hand,

the thing that gets me that it is only when i turn left, not a constant thing, i did think steering rack, but i never heard one going so i wouldnt know.

I think the midget by the engine has got hold of a jack hammer.... Take a look and get it off him ;)
lol, my mother-in-law is tiny, probely her, i will have to tell her that, i alwasy pick on her for it ha ha

·
Registered
713 Posts
my step-dad's steering rack went on his landy the once:shocked: so they can go lol

could it be a buckled wheel/tyre perhaps?? but then again that would be a constant vibration so probably not

·
Dr frankenstein
8,272 Posts
Corsa's can suffer from a steering problem and it is about £600 for a new one at vauxhall (dont quote me on that). its something to do with a fault in the column where you get a knock when turning and a lot of play in the wheel. i remember it killed my mates Corsa because it was more than the car was worth to have it fixed. haha
but i would think i was either a mount or a bush first, get some one to have a look at it like quick fit they don't do any work without your say and quote for free. just tell them you have a knock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not got quickfit arround here but do have a ats might try there or a local garage i know a few of them so they might do it as a favor.

just stange that its only when i turn left, and there doesnt seem any play in the steering, i will ask if she has knocked that wheel anywhere in ther recent past

thanks for all your ideas i will be looking this afternoon, will keep you all informed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i been out in it today, and i dont think the noise has got anything to do with steering even though it is when i turn left , i think bhpmad is right the rear engine mount, i noticed that the vibration seem to come beneth my feet on iether passenger side or driver when i turn left, and thats where the rear engine mount is, all the orginal noise of cv/bearings has gone and it steers and drives beautiful, so i guess it must be when i turn it distrubutes the weight and makes the braket vibrate, any one disagree let me know,

thanks for your help everyone

·
Registered
611 Posts
i had the exact same noise that ur talking about when my car slid off a roundabout and bounced over a kerb and it took me about 20mins to find the problem... had a huge buckle on the inside of the wheel and it was catching the suspension arm (thats what i was told its called... basically, if you look behind the wheel itself, its the highest solid bit of metal. would only do it when turning left and it was the right wheel that had the ding. check the inner side of the wheels for any dents etc.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will rememeber that for future reference, i changed the wheel with the spare in the boot and its still the same

1 - 10 of 10 Posts