·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Not a worthy upgrade to be honest.

Anything under 60fps and i notice it starting to run rough. Consoles usually run about 30fps
Less fps, the worse the card is performing.

Not a significant enough difference between your card you have compared to the proposed card IMO.

Mines is a 2011 580GTX. You'd be better to try and get one of them second hand instead, or something better again.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a worthy upgrade to be honest.

Anything under 60fps and i notice it starting to run rough. Consoles usually run about 30fps
Less fps, the worse the card is performing.

Not a significant enough difference between your card you have compared to the proposed card IMO.

Mines is a 2011 580GTX. You'd be better to try and get one of them second hand instead, or something better again.
It's a 2gb Tam.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
It's a 2gb Tam.
I know
The 2GB version is on the same benchmark, along with my old 2011 580GTX
Your current card is the one highlighted but if you look at the difference between the 2GB version and 1GB version on the chart, it's not much.

Edit: 2GB one posted is a different brand from one in the benchmark, but would be surprised if any performance difference

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't currently have a Ti, I have just a superclocked gtx 650. The Ti is more powerful.
So I'll be going from a EVGA GTX 650 Superclocked 1gb to a EVGA GTX 650 Ti Superclocked 2gb.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
I don't currently have a Ti, I have just a superclocked gtx 650. The Ti is more powerful.
So I'll be going from a EVGA GTX 650 Superclocked 1gb to a EVGA GTX 650 Ti Superclocked 2gb.
The difference between a base low spec card and an overclocked bells n whistles card is minimal i've found from experience. 5-10fps max difference in performance.

I was meaning though that i don't think it'll be a great upgrade because the 2GB one in that benchmark doesn't perform as well as my current card which is becoming old. A base spec 660gtx will likely perform better than a high spec 650gtx or ti.

I'd do a bit more reading into it. Just google images on benchmarks with your current card and the new one you fancy.

End of the day it's up to you, but i think you'd feel disapointed in the cost vs performance increase over what you have just now.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How I'm looking at it is that currently my card is spot on with most games, however it gets slightly choppy on the more demanding games like DayZ and BF3. All I want is to get rid of that choppiness. The plan was to pay £88 and get another card of the same, then sli them. But I then read this would increase power consumption and temps, so I thought I'll buy a slightly better card for roughly £125, hopefully sell mine for around £50, working out at only costing £75 and still giving me the improvement I want.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although I will look into it a bit more over weekend.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Pro Spanner Wielder
13,501 Posts
I'd agree with Tam.. Your second choice is much nicer. To put some raw figures on it:

The 660:
Memory Bus Type: 192 (192 bit)
DirectX Compliance: 11.0
OpenGL Compliance: 3.2
PS/VS Version: 5.0/5.0
Process: 28 nm
Shader Processors: 960
Pipeline Layout: SMX
Texture Units: 80
Raster Operators: 24

Your 650:
Memory Bus Type: 64x2 (128 bit)
DirectX Compliance: 11.0
OpenGL Compliance: 3.2
PS/VS Version: 5.0/5.0
Process: 28 nm
Shader Processors: 384
Pipeline Layout: SMX
Texture Units: 32
Raster Operators: 16

So although these are abstract figures and without context mean nothing, as a direct comparison, comparing board features and GPU processing capacity, they speak volumes. The memory bus is improved, as isthe number of shaders, texture units and raster operators.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any ideas if MSI are good? I had a Palit card before and it was faulty and they wouldn't change it, I've had a few EVGA cards and they've always been reliable so I wary of change.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The MSI's seem to be getting really good reviews from what I can find so far.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It comes with a few extras which should fetch about £40 on eBay, plus if I sell my old one it will end up costing about £60 in total.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts