All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started on my woman's cousin's car today, what a nightmare.
Got 3 jobs to do on it so far.
First off the backbox was held on with exhaust wrap, a bit of foil and lots of tie-wraps and wire. Got that off easy enough and bought a new standard backbox for £15.
Next the rear wheel brake cylinder is wrecked, it's pissing out brake fluid everywhere so I bought a new one to replace it.
Lastly the fuel tank is leaking petrol. I got my brother round to help, came off fairly easy but just as it did it started raining heavy so we got soaked.
Ended up jumping in my car and going out to pick up all the parts.

I have managed to source two 2nd hand fuel tanks but I have to wait for one or the other to be taken off.

Looks like I'm in for another day of it tomorrow. Hopefully the weather will be a bit better.
Just thought I'd have a little rant.
I'm off to get a warm drink and a hot bath now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i know the feeling mate, ive done a couple of conversions/big jobs in the winter months and its an absolute [email protected]!!! without exaggeration, last year when we wer doing th corsa, we wer putting spanners down, pickin them up 5 minutes later with ice on them :eek:

good luck to ye :laugh:

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I need it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
its one of those things that you'll look back on and laugh about in years to come mate, ive done all my brake pipes and bled the brakes in the pissing rain and at night with only a torch, its not fun while you do it but you still laugh when you're in the pub with your mates!

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It saves them money by not taking it to a garage anyway so there is some benefit in it all.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
your not the only one Lee, i was out today fixing a hole in me exhaust (the joint from mid box to the pipe leading to back box :mad: ) within 10 minutes it started p*issing it down, as i slid out from underneath the car, i managed to rest my head in a puddle, great! its all done now though, just got to leave it 24hrs for the paste to harden :rolleyes:

·
Registered
390 Posts
its one of those things that you'll look back on and laugh about in years to come mate, ive done all my brake pipes and bled the brakes in the pissing rain and at night with only a torch, its not fun while you do it but you still laugh when you're in the pub with your mates!
couldnt have put it better mate, u feel liek ramming a sword in your eye at the time, but a few weeks later when its all done you just look back at it and laugh!

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a lot worse lol. Tbh it went better than planned, if it wasn't for the rain I reckon I may have quite easily finished it all.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Little update for anyone that's interested.

The day started out as the other one finished, raining. Only briefly though.

Once it had cleared up I got on with the job or replacing the rear brake cylinder. The thing with old cars (k-reg) is that they usually are fairly corroded. I needed to unscrew the brake pipe from the cylinder but just my luck, the nut was that corroded that it started to fall apart. After loads of wd-40 and a bit of rounding off, I decided to just replace the rubber seals on the brake cylinder instead. Wasn't too hard a job and did the trick nicely.
Re-assembled the rear drum and job done.

Next was the petrol tank, managed to source one for £20 but tbh it looked in worse condition than the one taken off. Not a prob though just so long as it didn't leak.
everything was going fine then the dreaded corrosion strikes again. Upon bolting both tank straps back up, the bolts they attach to sheared off. So out comes the angle grinder and drill. A bit of messing around, new bolts slotted through and again sorted.
Wacked a bit of petrol in, ran the ignition a few times to get fuel back into the system and it fired up first time.

Now onto the backbox, took the old universal one off yesterday and bought a new standard one for £15.
Put a bit of exhaust paste onto it (helps lubricate when putting on and hardens once warmed so helps against leakage) and it popped on sraight away. Took literally 5 mins to do the backbox which was a result as it was just getting dark.

Tomorrows job is to bleed the brake system as the brakes are shocking, then try and source an electrical fault which is making the rear light flash randomly.

It all has to be done by dinnertime as I'm off to pub then onto Amsterdam, which is nice.:cool:

·
Registered
393 Posts
usually worth changing the bleed nipples if you're going to change the fluid, they snap really easily when you nip them back up, so its best to play it safe mate. mine are getting changed next fluid change and they're already round, but my trusty mini pipe wrench makes short work of them lol. least it stops the kids round here draining the fluid out of the brakes.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bleed nipples were suprisingly ok tbh. Sprayed some wd-40 on them, left it to soak in and they all slackened off no probs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts