All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PAS pump or belt has been squeaking slightly, only noticeable at idle RPM, not affected by actually using the steering. My local mechanic just sprayed the belt with WD40 and the noise stopped.

Today, it started making a much louder squeal. I can't make it stop, except it's quieter the higher the RPM, again not affected by moving the steering wheel.

Has my pump gone? Is it bearings or suchlike?

I'll take the belt off to see if it is the PAS pump, and also investigate how easily the pulley spins.

Thanks,
Alex.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No idea why he's sprayed is with WD-40 :confused:, it'll make the belt slip even more and insted of it squeeling on the belt/pumps, it'll slip on the WD-40 and won't make any noise. Probably just wants the belt tensioning but as a temporary fix you can put some talc powder on it to help it grip.

If it's the bearings the noise should get louder at higher RPM; because the pump is rotating faster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had the belts off. It's not the PAS pump. It's the alternator. Belts are now re-tensioned.

Made it slightly quieter by drowning it in GT85 (like WD40). Hopefully it will last a few days. I have a spare alternator which I rescued from my previous Combo B van. It's actually from a Vectra which I know is 100A as opposed to the current 75A. Quite handy for all the accessories I run.

Do these alternators often pack up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add that the alternator pulley when turned by hand feels and sounds like a bag of sand is inside it.

It's so much suddenly worse today than yesterday.

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Just had the belts off. It's not the PAS pump. It's the alternator. Belts are now re-tensioned.

Made it slightly quieter by drowning it in GT85 (like WD40). Hopefully it will last a few days. I have a spare alternator which I rescued from my previous Combo B van. It's actually from a Vectra which I know is 100A as opposed to the current 75A. Quite handy for all the accessories I run.

Do these alternators often pack up?
Very often on the diesel Corsa B's

I've had a recon one fitted to mines within the first year of my buying it and i know about 6 other people who had to do the same with thier diesel B's at some point
The alternators are not universal though

The wiring changed in 1997 and the amount of pins on the plug are different

1 - 6 of 6 Posts