All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your general views on the Haynes manuals - I bought one today from Halfords for 28 Euro (25 quid) for my Corsa B.

Its not bad but i think the older Haynes manuals years ago used to be much more in depth and a lot thicker/more pages years ago. Still good to have one though as i am always tinkering about with my corsa and its good to have the Haynes manual to refer to when in the middle of a job and having problems and to get stuff like capacities/specifications and settings though.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
How long is years ago?

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Although I often refer to Haynes because for most people it's the best information they're going to get their manuals are getting sloppier.

What annoys me is that when I've contacted them every time I spot a discrepancy or a mistake usually it is laziness on their part for not checking themselves.

They used to be based on a complete stripdown and rebuild, these days a lot of their guidance is gleaned from the manufacturer's workshop material. The last error I spotted (in a brake assembly) the guy told me "Well that's how Vauxhall tell their technicians to do it." So I told him to go try it for himself and find out that it was physically impossible to do the job in the order of events they advised.

To be fair they are usually pretty good, just odd niggles that they would have found if they'd done the job themselves.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
i remember when haynes used to strip cars and build them up again... the new ones are a third of the size of the old ones

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i remember when haynes used to strip cars and build them up again... the new ones are a third of the size of the old ones
yeah I was going to say the same thing that they used to strip them down extensively and 'explode' the parts and diagrams the older manuals used to be much more in depth, in fact the older manuals used to have much more photos and diagrams in them or seemed to have. A lot of the time you didnt need to even read the text you just used to follow the pictures and diagrams and get the job done. Its the other way round now, you have to trawl all through the text and then refer to the diagrams matching up the picture numbers with the text paragraphs.

Still good to have though on standby even if they aren't as good as they used to be.

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
I have probably used my Haynes twice, in 3 years, considering all my cars been through thats not alot.
This isnt becuase I know everything (far from it) but I would rather ask on forums/friends/find out myself, than look through that book. I hate it, introduce some colour ffs

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
They're alright apart from they tell you to replace every nut and bolt after you've removed it
There's a good reason for that most of the time though. That's how we were taught in college as well.

I agree. Haynes manual is ok for reference if you're really stuck or need to find torque settings or liquid information but they're deffenetily not as good as they used to be as mentioned. I've found a few things in it which explain how to do something, but thier way takes longer and is more difficult and clearly not learned from doing it themself. Just copied from somewhere else

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They're alright apart from they tell you to replace every nut and bolt after you've removed it
ah the amount of times years ago I would do a job on my motor and be left with a load of screws or bolts and washer left over - that was part of the fun of it :laugh:

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I had a look on how to remove the arches, it just says, "the various plastic covers are secured by a mixture of screws, nuts, and clips. Removal should be fairly obvious on inspection". Doesn't say anything about having to remove the arch liners etc

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a radical new idea - if every page of the haynes manual was laminated - how cool would that be :thumbs_up: the amount of times i have picked up the manual and put me oily nuts and bolts on the page, if they were laminated i could just wipe off the oil and the dirty thumbprints :laugh:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I have a radical new idea - if every page of the haynes manual was laminated - how cool would that be :thumbs_up: the amount of times i have picked up the manual and put me oily nuts and bolts on the page, if they were laminated i could just wipe off the oil and the dirty thumbprints :laugh:
that a euphamism?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Laminating it would make it the same thickness as they used to be.
I look at mine quite often, maybe I just read up on how to remove something with no intention of actually doing it, but that way I learn.

What I don't like too much, is the shoddy wiring diagrams. Full of mistakes, hard to read, taken direct from VX, half the stuff isnt even on the Corsa and never was.

It's kack.

Love the way they zoom into something on a photo and its so close up that you cant actually see what the fecking part is or where abouts its fecking located.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts