All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my name is john and i`m a new member, did a search of forum first . couldn't find answer i was looking for so can someone on this brilliant forum put me straight on this, recently bought 2002 corsa 1.2 16v z12xe, had it about a month and head gasket went , bought gasket kit including bolts and had the
head skimmed and refitted the head, was about to fit timing chain and cover
when i noticed there was a slight lip where the head meets the block. Is this normal, or should the surface be flush. If flush could i loosen head bolts and tap
it over and re-torque or will i need to buy new gasket and bolts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The block and cylinder head definitely need to be lined up flush, otherwise the timing chain cover won't marry up with them and you'll end up with a major oil and/or water leak. The head is designed with slightly elongated alignment holes that allow it to be slid sideways if you're removing it without removing the timing chain cover. This means you need to check the alignment before torquing up the cylinder head bolts. I think it would be unwise to re-use the bolts if you've already fully torqued them up, as they will have undergone a certain amount of stretch. Similarly with the head gasket - I would not re-use it if it's been fully compressed. Probably not what you want to hear, but you don't want to end up with another gasket failure after you've done all that work!

·
Banned
49 Posts
The head usually sits on dowels. Is this not the case with this engine? If its got dowels then it cant move. Every head gasket ive ever done had dowels holding the head in place. Ive not done one on a corsa but i cant see it being any different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mark152 thanks for your help.:)
The head usually sits on dowels. Is this not the case with this engine? If its got dowels then it cant move. Every head gasket ive ever done had dowels holding the head in place. Ive not done one on a corsa but i cant see it being any different.
TBH I have never done head gasket on a corsa before, I didn't expect this to happen as it had two locating dowels , top right and top left. I wasn't
expecting any play but there was, this is a first in my experience also.:banghead:

Hi mattj11 thanks for your help:)
The block and cylinder head definitely need to be lined up flush, otherwise the timing chain cover won't marry up with them and you'll end up with a major oil and/or water leak. The head is designed with slightly elongated alignment holes that allow it to be slid sideways if you're removing it without removing the timing chain cover. This means you need to check the alignment before torquing up the cylinder head bolts. I think it would be unwise to re-use the bolts if you've already fully torqued them up, as they will have undergone a certain amount of stretch. Similarly with the head gasket - I would not re-use it if it's been fully compressed. Probably not what you want to hear, but you don't want to end up with another gasket failure after you've done all that work!
hi matt , I have to agree , thought maybe there might have been a work around that didn't involve me spending more money on gasket/bolts, any how
I have ordered new set of both , should have them tomorrow.:bawling:
Is there any tips anyone can give me so this don't happen again.
I was thinking of attaching timing chain cover , couple bolts in block and a couple in cylinder head , not to tight , to hold cylinder head in place while i torque it down. Anyone have any better ideas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The block does have locating dowels, but as per my previous post the holes in the cylinder head that they locate in are slightly elongated to allow some sideways movement.
I agree that bolting up the timing chain cover first should keep the block and head aligned - this is effectively the sequence described in the Haynes manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.