All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I've got my Corsa C 53 plate with the Z12XE engine in. The head Gasket has gone, but no massive overheating occurred. When the fault was found, i was towed home so no further damage could be done. I've had a few people look at it and had many different things said. One has told me that head will definitely need skimmed otherwise i'm going to be stuck with this problem for a while. Then another source has told me that the head should be fine because there was no massive overheating. I have the replacement head kit and all the required replacements, just need to know if the head definitely need skimmed! To the naked eye it seems okay! Need my baby back on the road so someone please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but what about the compression after the heads been skimmed? Will it be too much and blow it again? Cause after it's been skimmed compression goes up?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you got a workshop manual? does it tell you a maximum amount of unevenness?

Put a straight edge on it, Steel rule or similar, shine a bright light fro behind and see if you can see light coming through any gaps between the edge of the rule and the head surface. I you can see the light, get it skimmed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try the straight edge method as stated.

Also the machine shop should be able to measure the flatness for you.

If she is within tolerance (I do not know what they are) then it should be ok.

By the way I have a German corsa manual and it states for the 1.0 and 1.2 litre engines that the head must NOT be skimmed.

Anyone know why?

·
Registered
18 Posts
for what its worth my head gasket went a couple of months ago on the same engine as you. It also didnt massively over heat. By this i mean the wife drove say 3-4 miles twice in 2 days, guage was just short of the red and water bottle on min. My visual with steel rule and other assorted flat things said it was ok. But the risk was too great so got it checked at engineering shop on one of those cast iron tables. It took 30s and cost nowt and confimed it was ok. I just did the gasket (£30 for set), new water pump (£25) and thermstat incl housing (£15) all off ebay. All good for last 2-3 months. good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
for what its worth my head gasket went a couple of months ago on the same engine as you. It also didnt massively over heat. By this i mean the wife drove say 3-4 miles twice in 2 days, guage was just short of the red and water bottle on min. My visual with steel rule and other assorted flat things said it was ok. But the risk was too great so got it checked at engineering shop on one of those cast iron tables. It took 30s and cost nowt and confimed it was ok. I just did the gasket (£30 for set), new water pump (£25) and thermstat incl housing (£15) all off ebay. All good for last 2-3 months. good luck
do i need a new water pump? never even thought of that. I've got the gasket kit with the gaskets for the chain cover etc as well. But i'm definitely getting it skimmed from what i've heard, hopefully i can find the cash haha

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
do i need a new water pump? never even thought of that. I've got the gasket kit with the gaskets for the chain cover etc as well. But i'm definitely getting it skimmed from what i've heard, hopefully i can find the cash haha
Don't need a water pump, but they can seize up and snap the cambelt/chain if they get old. So for £25 it's worth doing whenever you have access to it.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
Try the straight edge method as stated.

Also the machine shop should be able to measure the flatness for you.

If she is within tolerance (I do not know what they are) then it should be ok.

By the way I have a German corsa manual and it states for the 1.0 and 1.2 litre engines that the head must NOT be skimmed.

Anyone know why?
Rubbish. The reason they not to is because if you look at the side of the head the bolts for the timing cover run into it horizontally. If you skim the head too much those bolts won't line up.

But in reality
a) A skim only take a few thou off and that ain't going to affect the bolts enough to worry.
b) Multiple skims might cause a problem, but there is a thicker gasket set to compensate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts