All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bonjour all!

On my Kenwood headunit there is a B.M.S setting otherwise known as Bass Management System. its adjust the bass boost level on my amp using the headunit as the control, it has 4 settings on it

Flat: bass level is flat
+6: bass level is at +6db
+12: bass level is at +12db
+18: bass level is at +18db

Say if i have it setup at +6db on the amp and set up at +6db on the headunit will that then mean that the level is now +12db? or is it still at a +6db setting? My amp has a max of +12db so dont want to do any damage.

is it best to leave the amp setting to 0db and use the headunit to adjust the bass boost, or the other way round and use the amp not the headunit to set it. Or does it not matter at all?

merci :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
i stay well clear of all things that claim to add dB in this way... they have clipping wrote all over them. once you start turning these up, you have to start reconfiguring your gain. as this is basically a gain adjuster in the HU.

then you see "remote bass controller" this is just an "external gain knob" too pretty much... only really used at low volume levels so you get a massive bass boost, as soon as you turn the volume up as well, your nice sine wave in your amplifier starts to turn into a sqaure wave.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Mate i wouldnt bother adjusting your bass from the HU, set it from the gain if i were you!:)

·
Registered
447 Posts
i wouldnt use the gain either to increase the volume, this is a potentiometer to match the amp and hu levels, not a volume control. you can turn it down low though this is fine. although its a waste to have it running underpowered.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yeah as a rule never go past 1 o clock with the gains.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
. once you start turning these up, you have to start reconfiguring your gain. .
Thats just what i thought, so i thought id ask :) ok i will leave them both at odb then.

Well you can have the gain set above 1 o'clock but just means you have a pretty poor output on your headunit lol. Mine is 2v outputs and its at about 10 o'oclock so that should be about right.

There is a bass extend feature on the headunit too, it increases low frequency response by 20%, iv only really used it at low volume. is that what you mean by remote bass controller? of something similar to that. Im guessing that the amp will clip if i whack the volume up with it on.

What about EQ settings? if i choose different settings will i be having to adjust the gain to compensate any change?

·
Registered
447 Posts
is it a head unit built in EQ, or do you have an external one that your systm runs through?

you can have you gain up to the level just before clipping. this isnt a exact position, you find its max position and turn it to any point before this position. the reason people try to get away with having it right at the very max before clipping, is because they want there sub as loud as poss with no damage, maximise efficency.

but the EQ settings on a hu are fine, they're a volume knob.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah its just your normal settings on the headunit. Ok cheers just wanted to know. Your knowledge is much appreciated lol :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
yeah thats cool, just dont have the bass settings on the hu hard, it wont result in clipping apparently, it just makes it work too hard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts