All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2003 Corsa 1.0 club that has just started to lose coolant rapidly ie filled the coolant up at work travelled 12 miles and it was empty!

Filled the coolant back up and left the car for an hour and still the same level of coolant in the car, took it round the block and re checked - all the coolant gone!

Quick search on the net pointed to Water pump or head gasket?

HG - I've checked for signs of mayo and can`t see any and theirs no oil in the coolant bottle, also no white smoke and when you take the lid of the coolant theirs pressure! - So don`t think it's the head gasket?

Plugged the ECU reader into the car and it came back with fault code p0115 coolant curcuit malfunction now could this be because all the coolant is getting used or is this the reason all the coolant is being used?

What arre the signs of a failed water pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
A number of things:

Firstly - welcome

Pressure in the expansion tank isn't necessarily conclusive, for example, if the HG has gone then pressure from the cylinders will pressurise the coolant system. The usual way to tell is to start from cold - before starting squeeze the big pipes running to the radiator, they should be soft. Then start the engine and squeeze the pipes again. They ought to stay soft for quite a long time. As the engine warms up the system will pressurise, but the pipes should stay soft until the engine is hot. If the pipes go hard very soon after the engine is started that's a classic sign of a blown HG.

Rather than drive around the block, run the car whilst stationary. It's not unusual for small leaks in the cooling system to only open once the engine is hot, so all you get is steam coming out. You never see any drips. Or on a bigger leak you will see drips. But you can only watch out for signs of a leak whilst the car is stationary. So park it over a clean dry bit of ground and look carefully for any signs of leaks - drips or steam.

If the water pump fails you usually either get leaks from the bearings, or you get poor coolant circulation so the engine will overheat. The pump is in the driver's side of the engine, the top pulley on the aux drive belt is the water pump, so check behind that for signs of leaks.

Check the expansion tank cap - if that is worn they can leak and coolant blows out.

I would suspect that the coolant circuit fault code is likely to be due to the sensor overheating and being out of operating parameters.

In danger of saying the obvious - when you fill your coolant system you are only filling the tank half way aren't you? I had someone the other day who was filling it to the brim and wondered why he kept losing all his coolant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice have left the car at home today and taken the train to work to avoid causing any further damage. Will cehck the rad hoses tonight for pressure as suggested.

Thanks,

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts