Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I'm in a pickle. I was at a set of lights and I pulled away I heard a clatter and something hitting the road, I stopped and found what looks like a bit of spring. But I can't see where it has come from, it doesn't look like a suspension spring as the diameter is smaller and I can't see any visible damage on the springs.

So I am hoping that one of the awesome folk on here could help me identifier where it has come from?

(I may of driven over it but I just need to be sure before I hit the motorway tonight)

Cheers

(oh its a corsa C)

H

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
its the rear spring, car will drive ok without it, but get it replaced asap, the car will sit lower in that side at the back! then again it will put stress on your suspension shocks and could cause them to collapse.

Its located behind the rear wheel (whichever side it came off) its goes between the rear beam and the bottom of the car :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the rear spring, car will drive ok without it, but get it replaced asap, the car will sit lower in that side at the back! then again it will put stress on your suspension shocks and could cause them to collapse.

Its located behind the rear wheel (whichever side it came off) its goes between the rear beam and the bottom of the car :)
I assume that the springs diameter changes from one end to the other. I hope it is safe I've got an 85 mile drive home. All motorway.

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
any local scrap yards about? doesnt take too long to replace and will cost about £10-15 for a second hand spring! i wouldnt reccomend driving 85 miles!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
go to a local DIY shop, buy some big **** off heavy duty cable ties, and cable tie the spring to the car chassis... just in case... you can get it home like that no bother, I've seen cars on chopped springs half that size

Where bouts are you?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
My brother drove for a month with half a spring missing before he thought to mention it. Was fine. He'd lost more than that and it was still held in fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Probably fine to drive temporarily, just ensure what remains of the spring is seated correctly and not contacting any adjacent components. If you can identify which one has failed you will have a good side with which to compare it (assuming the other one hasn't also gone months ago and you didn't notice that leave the vehicle)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Probably fine to drive temporarily, just ensure what remains of the spring is seated correctly and not contacting any adjacent components. If you can identify which one has failed you will have a good side with which to compare it (assuming the other one hasn't also gone months ago and you didn't notice that leave the vehicle)
Came accross this when looking for clues as to when my soft rear suspension needs replacing. Surprised at everyone recommending driving a car like this. You risk 3 pointsand a fine for having defective suspension, void insurance in the even of a crash and becomming liable for any and all damages arising. A brand new spring costs less than £20, is easy to fit and probaly only £30-40 labour costs.
Suspension is a key safety component in cars. You wouldn't advise someone to drive with tyres so bald the wire is showing, brakes that only work on 3 wheels or bolts missing from the steering would you? As far as the law is concerned, there is no difference. As a car driver, you are required to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition. If it wouldn't pass a MOT, its not roadworthy!

·
Registered
9,910 Posts
Came accross this when looking for clues as to when my soft rear suspension needs replacing. Surprised at everyone recommending driving a car like this. You risk 3 pointsand a fine for having defective suspension, void insurance in the even of a crash and becomming liable for any and all damages arising. A brand new spring costs less than £20, is easy to fit and probaly only £30-40 labour costs.
Suspension is a key safety component in cars. You wouldn't advise someone to drive with tyres so bald the wire is showing, brakes that only work on 3 wheels or bolts missing from the steering would you? As far as the law is concerned, there is no difference. As a car driver, you are required to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition. If it wouldn't pass a MOT, its not roadworthy!
Few things here.

It's a really old thread being the main one...

You won't get 3 points for a broken spring on your car
Your insurance wouldn't be void
MOT and being roadworthy are two different things. If you remove your cracked windscreen for example it will pass an MOT but isn't road safe / legal

·
Registered
8 Posts
Few things here.

It's a really old thread being the main one...

You won't get 3 points for a broken spring on your car
Your insurance wouldn't be void
MOT and being roadworthy are two different things. If you remove your cracked windscreen for example it will pass an MOT but isn't road safe / legal
Well, respectfully, I have to disagree. If a broken or missing spring isn't the definition of defective suspension, I don't what is. What I described is a worst case scenario yes, but there are clauses in all insurance policies requiring that your vehicle must be kept in a roadworthy condition. I wouldn't trust my insurance company to cover me if I knowlingly drove an unroadworthy car and had a crash. Having a broken or missing spring seriously comprises your ability to handle an emergency high speed manouvre and will affect steering and braking effectiveness.
The Police and VOSA have to power to impound and remove a vehicle from the road if they deem it unsafe.
At the end of the day, its upto the individual if they want to drive a car with a missing or broken spring, but you should do so knowing the full facts and no-one should be advising someone else to drive a vehicle that has defective suspension. I'd be seriously pissed if someone crashed into me, driving a faulty vehicle, knowing it was faulty and could have remedied that fault for less than 6 months road tax.
I'm a professional driver. I have to follow very strict regulations. I guess some of you here don't realise that a car can be a lethal weapon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're so interested in rules and regulations, i suggest you look up this forums rules on bumping or replying to old threads.
Yeah, cos breaking some rules on forum posting is just as dangerous as suggesting people should drive with defective suspension... :p

·
Registered
891 Posts
1. Came across this when looking for clues as to when my soft rear suspension needs replacing.

If a broken or missing spring isn't the definition of defective suspension, I don't what is.

Having a broken or missing spring seriously comprises your ability to handle an emergency high speed manoeuvre and will affect steering and braking effectiveness.

2. I'm a professional driver. I have to follow very strict regulations.

3. I guess some of you here don't realise that a car can be a lethal weapon
1. You're doing what? Driving round on soft rear suspension? If that's not the definition of defective suspension...

Come back and lecture us on Highway Law when you're not driving around in a vehicle with compromised handling yourself

2. If you've got a UK full driving licence you're a professional driver and if you use Her Majesty's highways, you're following the same strict regulations that we are

3. Thanks Einstein, we do now

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
1. You're doing what? Driving round on soft rear suspension? If that's not the definition of defective suspension...

Come back and lecture us on Highway Law when you're not driving around in a vehicle with compromised handling yourself

2. If you've got a UK full driving licence you're a professional driver and if you use Her Majesty's highways, you're following the same strict regulations that we are

3. Thanks Einstein, we do now
I like this guy! He reminds me of Taurus :laugh:

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
I heard it was Taurus's long lost brother

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.