All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly i've recently noticed a slight whining sound coming from my engine when i accelerate. I've only just noticed it and i was wondering if this was normal as normally i have my music on so i wouldn't have heard it.

Secondly sometimes when mainly changing from first to second there is a fairly loud noise coming from the rear passenger side wheel area. Its hard to describe the noise but its sort of a loud vibrating noise. The problem is this also happened to me going down the M5 which sort of worried me! My initial thought is maybe the wheel bearings. I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the problem.

cheers

·
Registered
708 Posts
For the rear near side, I would place money on the bearings being on their last legs.

Get a reputable garage to check it though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the whining could just be the alternator but as for the noise is it only when you change from first to secnd? if so does the rear of the car seem to push down when you change? some cars do this making the rear tyres rub on the arces otherwise it will be a bearing

cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the whining could just be the alternator but as for the noise is it only when you change from first to secnd? if so does the rear of the car seem to push down when you change? some cars do this making the rear tyres rub on the arces otherwise it will be a bearing
Its mainly when changing gear but it has also done it whilst in 5th on the m5. Sometimes it will be ok, but then other times i will be driving along and then the noise will happen.

Im hopefully going to get it checked out soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a whining noise once, it was the cambelt rubbing on the side of the plastic cover. The tensioner was worn and allowed the belt to move to the edge of the cogs, Or thats what they told me. Something wasnt right as when I removed the cover the belt was worn on one edge.

·
Registered
43 Posts
easy way to check the rear wheel bearing would be to grab the top of the wheel and shake it, you will feel a clonking if the wheel bearing needs tightening.

i have a slight whering from my engine but its down to the power stearing pump being old and worn out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a whining noise once, it was the cambelt rubbing on the side of the plastic cover. The tensioner was worn and allowed the belt to move to the edge of the cogs, Or thats what they told me. Something wasnt right as when I removed the cover the belt was worn on one edge.
Well i think the whining noise has gone now. i was probally just hearing things! When it goes in for a service though i'll ask them to have a look anyway just to be on the safe side.

easy way to check the rear wheel bearing would be to grab the top of the wheel and shake it, you will feel a clonking if the wheel bearing needs tightening.

i have a slight whering from my engine but its down to the power stearing pump being old and worn out.
Well i have given it a quick shake but there didn't seem to be any clonking or anything. I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow.

Any other suggestions of what could be wrong with it, if it isn't the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
713 Posts
whats the state of the wheels like? are they alloys? if so are they brand new or could they be slightly damaged aka buckled in any way at all? or the tyre could be buckled?
could even be brakes catching slightly perhaps? the pre-tensioner seems to get jammed at times like on my corsa. only way to find out was to take the hub apart to get to the shoes etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nah there standard steel wheels. hopefully will be getting alloys soon. in my opinion they don't look damaged and the tyres look fine. i think i'll just have to get a garage to check it over. it hasn't got any worse though, if anything the noise seems to happen less.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah ok then. just out of curiousness, what makes you sure its from the rear wheel?
well im not 100% sure but i've had both the front passenger and rear passenger say it was coming from around by the left rear wheel area and thats where i thought it was coming from when i first heard the noise.

·
Registered
713 Posts
only thing is, when moving forward sounds from the front tend to sound like they come from the rear, if you get me?

was just curious as its strange it tends to happen as you change gear.

when you hear the noise, do you feel anything (no matter how small) through the steering wheel? a slight wobble or vibration???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well there might be a slight vibration. i know for a fact that the other day when on the dual carriage-way my steering wheel was vibrating quite alot but i didn't hear the noise at all. there is a small bulge on the right front tyre. would that have anything to do with it?

i think it may be best for me to get a garage to have a look at it. its due for a service soon anyway and i don't really know that much about this sort of stuff so i don't particually want to be taking things apart.

·
Registered
713 Posts
for a start i'd change the tyre to the spare wheel, that will possibly solve the vibrations your feeling. might, just might, solve the clonking as well.

try that as a start i would before you book it in to check for it, as it would save on extra cash and then just buy a new tyre etc:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ye thats a good idea actually. if that fails my cars got it's MOT start of december so i could leave it till then to find out whats wrong.
cheers mate!

·
Registered
713 Posts
no worries mate, when i took my alloys off the corsa when i was selling it and put the steelies back on, one front tyre had a bad bulge on it and the vibrations through the steering wheel were awful, plus road handling goes out the window like.

hope it all sorts out soon :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you got a bulge in the side fo the tyre you will defonatly need a new one, its called carbunkle i know funny name, but its where the layers of material seperate and let a air pocket to get in there, thus could well not could will cause tyre to blow.

try pumping up your front tyres, my b runs on astra GSI alloys and they are killer for vibrating when tyre pressure isnt at 2.2 bar

(reminds self to pump them up again)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
got my car back today after it failed its mot yesterday. the rear wheel bearings had gone and was causing the knocking sound so im just glad thats all sorted now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts