All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Can you help me please? When I turn my steering wheel, it hardly reacts. I have to really turn it before I get any sharp movement. What could be wrong? :driver:

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I'm guessing it's non power steering?

·
Registered
393 Posts
There are a fair few parts that need to move before the hub turns as you turn the steering wheel, in this order:

Steering wheel and column > 2x universal joint couplings > Pinion gear > Rack > Track-rod Ball-joints > Bottom-arm balljoint and strut top-mount bearing.

Overall wear in all of these will gradually increase the amount of play in the steering gear, so you'll have to turn the wheel slightly more over time compared to a brand-new car. Excessive wear in one of these will cause the same thing, so you need to check over everything from the steering wheel right down the line until you come across something with more play than it should. If the car is getting old, the common things to wear are the pinion gear, track-rod end bearings and the bottom arm balljoints (which can be difficult to diagnose on Corsa's due to the design of the front arms in general).

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a fair few parts that need to move before the hub turns as you turn the steering wheel, in this order:

Steering wheel and column > 2x universal joint couplings > Pinion gear > Rack > Track-rod Ball-joints > Bottom-arm balljoint and strut top-mount bearing.

Overall wear in all of these will gradually increase the amount of play in the steering gear, so you'll have to turn the wheel slightly more over time compared to a brand-new car. Excessive wear in one of these will cause the same thing, so you need to check over everything from the steering wheel right down the line until you come across something with more play than it should. If the car is getting old, the common things to wear are the pinion gear, track-rod end bearings and the bottom arm balljoints (which can be difficult to diagnose on Corsa's due to the design of the front arms in general).
Thanks. I'll get my dad to read this post so he can look at all the possible things it could be. I thought it may've been the ball joints. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't got 17s. They're 15s with low profiles, but that shouldn't affect the steering. It was the same with my standard Corsa wheels on the car.

·
Registered
393 Posts
no worries mate :thumbs_up: here's a few tips and tricks:

the easist way to check the bottom arm ball-joints is to jack the front of the car up, turn the wheel you want to check to full lock (so for drivers-side, all the way to the right) put the steering lock on, then use a bar through the arm and forward arm to push it down and take the pressure off the ball-joint, then you can rock the wheel around to check it for play.
if you don't take the pressure of the arm pushing the ball-joint upwards off, then chances are that you'll feel next to no play at all, same with trying to check it with the wheels still on the floor.

it's also tricky to tell the difference between the inner and outer ball-joints on the track-rods, you may have to slide the rubber boot off it to check the inner one properly. if you can, get a bar or long screwdriver to give you some leverage when you rock the hub around while you feel for any play, sometimes pulling on it with your hands isn't enough, but be careful how much you do force it, don't try to bend things!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no worries mate :thumbs_up: here's a few tips and tricks:

the easist way to check the bottom arm ball-joints is to jack the front of the car up, turn the wheel you want to check to full lock (so for drivers-side, all the way to the right) put the steering lock on, then use a bar through the arm and forward arm to push it down and take the pressure off the ball-joint, then you can rock the wheel around to check it for play.
if you don't take the pressure of the arm pushing the ball-joint upwards off, then chances are that you'll feel next to no play at all, same with trying to check it with the wheels still on the floor.

it's also tricky to tell the difference between the inner and outer ball-joints on the track-rods, you may have to slide the rubber boot off it to check the inner one properly. if you can, get a bar or long screwdriver to give you some leverage when you rock the hub around while you feel for any play, sometimes pulling on it with your hands isn't enough, but be careful how much you do force it, don't try to bend things!
Cheers Deathscythe! You're like a walking book of Corsa knowledge! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts