All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, have discovered a fairly major problem with my corsa this evening.

The model is a Corsa B, '96, 3 door GSI.

I have never had any problems with it whatsoever however on trying to drive it today it appears as if the near side rear wheel is locked in place as it just dragged and refused to turn.

The lay of the wheel seems the same to the other rear wheel and the overall balance of the car loks fine to the eye.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong here, its just as if a brake is being applied to that wheel only making the car obviously undriveable.

Also I have not hit or ranover anything that could've damaged the car to the best of my knowledge, in fact the car hasnt been driven since saturday when it performed fine in a small run to the shops.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sometimes, the brake shoes lock against the drums and/or contaminants can get into the drum (especially if it's starting to rust). The exterior condition of the drum can be a tell-tale....if the outside is fairly rusty then you can bet the rust is likely to be corroding the inside. It's either that or the handbrake cable on the left side has seized.

If I were you, I'd reverse and go forwards alternately for a short while to see if it frees it up. Failing that, visually inspect the handbrake cable behind the drums. You'll see a half-moon shaped 'rest' that the cable goes through on the rear axle so get someone to help and have them release and pull up the handbrake to see whether or not the cable 'plays'. If not, there's your answer. If it does seem to operate normally, you might as well look into replacing the drums and shoes (both sides). If they are recent drums/shoes then take the offending one off again and resettle the shoes.

If it's any consolation, it happens to me quite often and my drums are due for replacement in the next month or so (before MOT time). There's also another member of the site that had it happen to them recently. You're not alone ;)

·
Registered
393 Posts
spot on there sky, its a pretty common fault with them, as soon as the cable sliders on the axle start to wear, road crud jams the cable into them. its a stupid design really.
this sort of thing happens to me now and then, usually after its been raining or especially cold, a quick drive backwards usually free's the drums off.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Come to think of it I used to get that all the time with my old corsa if it had been raining and stood for a day or two.
Used to do exactly as you said, quick drive backwards and it was sorted.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yeah im currently having the same problem, been stood for 2 days now seized, tried reversing it, unfortuately its parked quite near a wall at the front so rocking its gonna be a bit difficult. Think it must be a case of the brake drums being rusty, there very rusty on the outside so guess must be the same on the inside as someone suggested. Looks like more money to spend in the future.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
Another option would be to take your rear wheels off and gently tap the drums with a hammer to try and free them.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Also happens to me, just the one side though, if i leave it for about 2 days then pull away the car makes a thump like iv hit something lol, always catches me out. lol, after that it seems to be fine.

Another thing, my handbrake doesnt seem to be very strong, if the car is on a hill it needs to be on the very last click, otherwise it will roll slowly, is it just the handbrake cable needing adjustment? or is it the brakes themselves?

·
Registered
393 Posts
its one of the little problems with drum brakes, the springs that hold the shoes onto the backplate have problems letting the shoes release from the drums if they've been applied for a while. a way around it is to fit an extra spring to the other side of the one that pulls the shoes to release, but on most brakes you can't do this because there isn't room.
i'll be fitting new handbrake cables to mine soon, so i'll take a peek to see if it can be done when i strip the brakes down to change them.

sounds like your handbrake cables need adjusting clutch, the best way is to adjust them with the adjusters in the drum, then adjust the cable itself (or you'll probably get handbrake imbalance). its a chew on doing it this way, but it does work.
a quick way is to nip the cable up, then count the clicks on the lever until both sides start to resist, if one side locks before the other, then its drums off im afraid mate.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My handbrake doesnt seem to be very strong, if the car is on a hill it needs to be on the very last click, otherwise it will roll slowly
I have this issue too :laugh: It'll be the cable itself that needs adjusting mate....I'm waiting to uprate my front brakes to the 2.0L Cavvy ones before I do the whole lot....before my MOT in April.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Funny, this happened to me as I left work only the other day. Reversed and the car didn't want to move, I thought someone had put a small object behind my wheel as a joke so I gave it more throttle and the whole car clunked (as Clutch said) and that was that. It also happened the day after I think. I think it was after a lot of rain but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Ok well my problem is sorted, just jacked the back end up to see which rear side the brake was stuck on. then once i found which side it was, removed the wheel and hit the brake till it freed up again, job done. Better than getting a garage to come out and have a look.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts