All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.I have a black corsa b and the plastic rims above the wheels have faded to a gray colour.Was wondering if anybody had any idea's on making them black?.Only
other option is spend £100 on new ones and thay will fade in time.So any idea's would be great.

·
Registered
408 Posts
first and foremost hi and welcome:)

Your best bet would be to get the car colourcoded, this costs between £150 and £300 which would mean your bumpers and arches would be the same colour as your paint,

cheapest option well free if you have a heat gun is to use that on them although be careful not to melt them.

Another cheap option would be to buy a product such as "autoglym bumper care" which is about £6-£7

·
Premium Member
15,023 Posts
Could get them sprayed matt black, depending on the colour of your car that can look good.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
get some back to black from hallfords etc and see how much this improves them.

if not head to a scrappy and get new ones or colour code

·
Registered
138 Posts
what products have you tried on makin them black??

back to black is usually quite crapand will come off in the rain

try auto glym bumper care cheap and cheerful and dose a good job lasts longer,

or there poor boys stuff cant mind the name good stuff rather expensive for what it is but last longer than the auto glym,

or belive it or not a mate off mine uses penut butter, up sides off this is that the plastics dose not absorb it so if you got for a future colour code the body shop will have no problems with paint reactin with the bumper car or poor boys products,

if that fails try the good old heat gun method,
basicly get a heat gun and run it back an forth above the arches not for long though and be carefull when near the body work..

·
Registered
163 Posts
hi the best thing to use is baby oil!!! i know it sounds stupid but it really works and it makes the grey turn to black not permanently but it works all the same!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
hi mate have same problem with my back arches i tried back to black and it worked on the arches what arent to bad but on the ones that had faded no diff whatsoever. I am going to try autoglym bumper stuff and i will let you know how i get on monday.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
I used to use the autoglym bumper care and it brought them up great, but it doesn't last that long.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have no idea what the stuff my mate used on mine wen he went in his garage the other day but it was gr8 it looked like custard but it brought it all up a treat i no its ome proper stuff they use when u take ur car 4 a valet i will try to find out what it is 4 u all and let u no.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kiwi Black shoe dye is the best bet, just go over it with a cloth, stays on for around 10 month

mine are the same and the usual products dont work, especially back to black, it soon runs off in the rain

also dont know aobut yours but mine had a patchy sort of effect what i couldnt stand!!!!

definetly kiwi black shoe dye pal

·
Registered
224 Posts
hi mate

i tried back to black on rear left and autoglym on rear right and i would definately say autoglym was best on my car. i hope you have same results mate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Use a heat gun !!! Yes I know it sounds stupid but it works !!! The grey molecules in the plastic "fade" with the sunlight. being VERY carful with the heat gun ie paint stripper , gently warm up the arch - keep a spray full of cold water next to you and give it a spay if it gets too warm _ YES THEY DO MELT. I then used a liquid back to black and bumper gel on top.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use armor-all spray - its silicone based and you build it in layers until its saturated, then the colour stays and the water runs off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts