All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help. The timing belt snapped on 1.2 8V Corsa 1998. I have replaced the cambelt and water pump. I lined the top pulley with the top of mark on the pulley guard and the bottom pulley pointing down. I cannot get the engine to fire. I do not know whether the ignition timing is out Can anyone offer any advice. Thank you

·
Banned
885 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Prevention is better than cure, that is why timing belts should be changed at (or before) the recommended mileage.

The problem is that if a belt breaks, the camshaft(s) stop rotating, but the crankshaft continues to turn, so the pistons still go up and down - This may be OK on cylinders in which the valves are closed, but where valves are open, then they are bound to be struck by the piston, resulting in bent valve stems and possible piston and even cylinder head damage.

Even if you have got the timing set correctly, with bent valve stems, there will not be any compression, something that can easily be diagnosed by carrying out a compression test.

Regards.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Proberly be easier and cheap in the long run to get another engine and put your new parts on that one than trying to sort the engine you got because like walksall says you have proberly bent the valves

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.