All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got me a 1.4L 16V corsa sport, N reg 1996, 77000 miles, todayy!. i was driving it about for about 3 hours and it was fine, great to drive,

but i was driving down a hill and put the clutch down to coast (trying to save petrol :| ) then the engine cut out , as if i stalled it or somthing, i tried to start it up while the car was still going, but it failed :| so i banged the hazzards on and pulled over, i tried to start it up and it was sparking but not turning on, there was a light on the dash that was like an alternator im guessing, that wouldnt turn off :|, the car started eventually but this light didnt go off, about 20 mins later it did.

anyone happen to know what could of happend here?

thanks in advance for any help givin :) !!

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
i was driving down a hill and put the clutch down to coast
This actually uses MORE fuel :) just leave it in gear with clutch up, will use practically NO fuel

As stated by Clarkeson on Top Gear ;)

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Cj speaks the truth!!!

Id recommend doing the paper clip test to get a diagnostics of what might be wrong. Can somebody post the link because i dont know what it is :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
i had the same problem with my corsa when i was trundling down the M40 doin about 80 in the middle lane when my engine just died on me with the amber engine management light came on and wouldnt re-start at all until a good 10-15 mins later.

problem was was a few of my piston rings had given up life which allowed oil to seep into the engine and burn off with the fuel, losing compression in the engine and which meant my engine was running practically on no oil and the engine cut out.

but also contributing to that was my oil pressure light was faulty as well, so i was unaware of the oil level.

so my advice...sounds silly...but check the oil level.

ps if ur going to "coast", dont keep the clutch held down 'cos you wont be doing your clutch any favours as my mate found out to his cost of having to replace his haha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks !

All those other suggestions are great :), but my friends dad (whose a mechanic) said that its probly my "Crank Sensor" thats on the way out :/, but i dont know what that does, or what effect it has on my engine :O?

thanks again for any other replies :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts