All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a guide on how to fit HID convertion kit to a Corsa B with angel eyes.

The angel eyes use 2 seperate bulbs, one for dipped beam and one for main beam. These angel eyes use a H1 bulb for dipped (other angel eyes may use other H bulbs so check before you buy your kit)

First thing to do is remove the bumper to gain access to the inner wheel arches and allow you to remove the head lights.

To remove the bumper you need to undo the 9 bolts that secure it to the car. There are 3 along the bottom edge of the bumper that secure it to the cross member (1 in the centre and other 2 next to the tie bar brackets), 2 in the bottom corners where the mud guard meets the bumper, 2 in the wheel arch near the top and 2 where the grill meets the slam panel.

This is how it should look so far

Next you need to remove the head light ( 2 very obvious bolts) and replace the standard halogen bulb with the new HID bulb and secure it in place with the clip (HID bulb is slightly wider so becareful when fitting and is harder to clip back on) .

You also need to cut a bit out of the head light to allow the HID bulb wire to exit the head light (you can also drill a hole and use a gromit if you wish)

You now need to plug the ballast wires in to the dipped beam wires, like so

You can know refit the headlight and plug the HID bulb wires into the ballast of the HID kit.

Now you need to fit the brackets that hold the ballast securly to the car. We chose to put them in the inner wing area so they are protected from the elements by the bumper and splash guard. Make sure the conectors are at the bottom to help prevent them holding water.

On the passanger side its nice and accessable. Bend the top of the bracket and hold in place so you can mark the 2 holes. Remove bracket and drill the holes. The top hole will need a self tapping screw as there is no accesss to the back of the hole but you can use a nut and bolt for the bottom one.

This is the bracket fitted on the passanger side

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now the drivers side which is not so straight forward.

First you need to undo the clip that secures the pipe to the air box and undo the screw that secures the inlet pipe to the slam panel and any other pipes that are on the airbox need to be disconnected so you can completely remove it.

That will leave a big hole like this

To fit this bracket you need to bend the top the same as the other side and position it so the top hole will be under the front airbox securing bracket, you will need to remove the rubber bush so you can drill the hole, like this

You will need to use self tapping screws on both holes to secure it. Here is the bracket fitted

Now you can slide the ballast into the brackets and plug the 2 leads in. 1 lead will come from the headlight and plug into the ballast and the other flying lead from the ballast plugs into the HID bulb wires.

Passanger side

Drivers side

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now check they turn on ok. This is the Hid powered up

and how the old one looked

Refit the bumper and your done. Its advisable to get your headlight alignment checked.

So now to see the difference...

Before and after beam

Before and after headlights

·
Registered
72 Posts
how much did that set you back for the parts and there u get them from laura

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nice post Laura and may I say the lights look stunning :eek: Should really do this to my car but not priority atm, at least I know where to look for a guide for future reference.

Well done :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
166 Posts
i don't like aftermarkt xenon light..

the problem is if you have a bumpy road you can damaged it.. inside ballest

·
Registered
393 Posts
laura, first nice going on the tutorial.
im going to check tommorrow (aka today) at work because im fairly certain that HID headlamps must have a provision for cleaning the headlamp (wipers / washer jets) to pass an MOT test, ill post back up when i find out.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i don't like aftermarkt xenon light..

the problem is if you have a bumpy road you can damaged it.. inside ballest
Thats why we went to the hassle of removing the bumper so we could put them in a secure place firmly fixed to the body ;)

im fairly certain that HID headlamps must have a provision for cleaning the headlamp (wipers / washer jets) to pass an MOT test, ill post back up when i find out.
I've never heard of that :confused: I sure new cars have been built with HID's as standard with no washers :confused:

Be interested to know officially though :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
166 Posts
well.. that doesn't matter.. the shock you can have on the road.. can break the (don't know how to write it.. it's the glue that's inside a tree).. and if that break's you can buy a new one..

maybe if you made something with a spring that reduce the shock that would help..

btw..
it my country if a care com's from the factory(after 2007) and it has xeno on it,it need wipers, sprinkler system and the lamp can change to the top or to the bottom

·
Registered
393 Posts
ok folks, it is a legal requirement for an 'aftermarket' HID conversion kit to have a provision for cleaning the headlamp outer lens (aka washers) and it will definitely fail an MOT test without them.

the good news is, its not that hard to do. Just drill a hole through the top of the bumper on each side under the headlights, fit your washer jets and pipe them to the washer motor (front or rear will do) making sure you've got a check-valve in the pipes near the jets so you don't drain all your washer fluid when you aren't using them.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Deathscythe our mine of information :thumbs_up:

Guess i've just become the proud owner of an illegal car then coz i'll be buggared if im doin that. What so NO car thats had HID's fitted has passed its MOT...Rubbish! Theres a hell of a lot of people that have done the convertion, my Lee included and was no problem for him in his MOT

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
My guess is that it depends on either how strict the tester is, or even if they know of that law.

·
The 2nd coming
22,451 Posts
exacly, its one of those obscure ones! make sure you go to the same garage ;)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok folks, it is a legal requirement for an 'aftermarket' HID conversion kit to have a provision for cleaning the headlamp outer lens (aka washers) and it will definitely fail an MOT test without them.
Where exactly did you get this information Deathscythe? is it in the mot hand book?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts