All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occured to me that the corsa is sounding a little louder that it should do as its a totally standard diesel car, Anyway I took it around to kwik fit and where the downpipe meets the flexible pipe in front of the cat, it has been ground out on a speed bump at some stage and ground a 3mm diamter hole in it.

Kwik fit quoted £230 to replace this section, another exhaust place quoted £150 and this section with the cat is £110 to buy it from the motor factors :eek:

I'm going to see if a friend can weld the hole up as he has the ramps to get the car in the air and the welding equipment to do it cos I think this is a bit scandalous for the size of hole :mad:

Do many of the lowered car owners on here have a lot of trouble with grinding out, and do you re-enforce this area with a bash plate to protect it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i ripped my old single backbox off going over a speed bump at 20 miles an hour, didnt see it till it was too late. Not had any probs with the new dual system... as i go over them about 5 mph.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
It occured to me that the corsa is sounding a little louder that it should do as its a totally standard diesel car, Anyway I took it around to kwik fit and where the downpipe meets the flexible pipe in front of the cat, it has been ground out on a speed bump at some stage and ground a 3mm diamter hole in it.

Kwik fit quoted £230 to replace this section, another exhaust place quoted £150 and this section with the cat is £110 to buy it from the motor factors :eek:

I'm going to see if a friend can weld the hole up as he has the ramps to get the car in the air and the welding equipment to do it cos I think this is a bit scandalous for the size of hole :mad:

Do many of the lowered car owners on here have a lot of trouble with grinding out, and do you re-enforce this area with a bash plate to protect it.
Don't go with Kwik fit! That price is a bit excessive to say the least. I got a whole new middle section for my exhaust (official vauxhall part) for £26. That's with labour too! I'm sure you can get the part you need cheaper.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What you need to find is a nice friendly local garage, then make friends with all the guys in there, that way you can get everything done nice and cheap is what ive found :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
i go so slow over speed bumps its unreal, i nearly had so many people go into the back of me i go that slow over them. I had to laugh last night this clio was so low on the back end with his 5'' exhaust it was so nearly draggin on the floor on level ground, and when he went over them little ramps near maccy d's he clipped his exhaust and nice sparks came out :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
the quick fit price is a rip off the other is about right as the cat is joined to the front section they are not seperate pieces i had to have 1 for my car i fitted it my self thats was 106 quid an as to speed bumps i dont have a prob with them but i did rip my mid section an back box off on a big pot hole i was going a bit quick tho

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What you need to find is a nice friendly local garage, then make friends with all the guys in there, that way you can get everything done nice and cheap is what ive found :)
THe guy who's looking at it is Brian Cornock (the owners of Mech Repairs in Cheltenham which has built the RWD short circuit racing Corsas I posted up the other week)

He charges about £45 per hour IIRC but it will be a cheap repair if it holds in comparison with replacing the lot !

I've got another mate who is a brilliant welder and can weld all sorts of wierd and wonderful stuff - Cast Iron, Aluminium, Titanium etc etc but he doesn't have the ramps to get to it so its not even worth asking him :(

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Well thats good when you know you are paying for quality work, just not with kwik-fit where your getting ripped off for parts and then having idiots fit the parts (no offence if anyone on here works at kwik-fit) :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
iv broken a few bits of exhaust pipe because of speedhumps etc.
the other week i got beached on one and daredn't move incase i snapped awt lol.
just another one of the perks of having an 80mm dropped corsa i guess ;)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Mine grinds sometimes no matter how slow i go over them depending on the speed bump because some are F'ing huge round here! I refuse to go into an area with speed bumps if i got more than me and one passenger in the car mind you though lol!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
See this is why i like not having a lowered corsa, even though it looks like a bit of a tractor on 15" alloys, means i can go over speed bumps at about 30mph with no problems :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
just 1 thing even if you dont have a lowered car you should still go slow over speed bumps as it kills ya car it mess your tracking up going over them quickly

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He managed to weld it and also pit a small skid plate over it to help protect the area from more damage -corsa-'s college is full of massive speed bumps so its no bad thing when she starts to drive. They are all covered with big gouges where the cars have hit them :( .

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
just 1 thing even if you dont have a lowered car you should still go slow over speed bumps as it kills ya car it mess your tracking up going over them quickly
i go over them slowly anyway, but even if i dint have to, my corsa's lowered 80mm so the tracing is mega-out before i even go over speedhumps lol.

·
Registered
523 Posts
jesus .... even powerflow would put you a full stainless system on for about £200 and thats with a nice backbox .. check them out.

Also just try ebay .. or even go to a scrap yard and take tha secion off another corsa ! yeah it wont be new but should not have a hole in it :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jesus .... even powerflow would put you a full stainless system on for about £200 and thats with a nice backbox .. check them out.

Also just try ebay .. or even go to a scrap yard and take tha secion off another corsa ! yeah it wont be new but should not have a hole in it :)
I don't want to modify the car cos the premium will rocket :(

I've had it welded and plated to protect the welded area by a friend of mine. It only cost me a couple of cases of Stella - Top man:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
523 Posts
arr well then there is your plan ... get a patch up joby .. just hope he can weld to it .. as it might have correded :S nvm just try it :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts