All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couldn't find a massively detailed tutorial so on the way I decided to make one myself that could be useful for the fiddly sections.

Firstly if your changing dash bulbs order the LED/Bulb's to replace the existing one ready so it can all be done at once. This was for a Vauxhall Corsa B 1996-1997 (With rev counter)

Step 1.

Firstly use a Phillips screwdriver to undo all 3 screws underneath the steering wheel holding the steering rack casing. These out should allow the plastic casing to be loose and able to move around slightly.

Step 2.

Turn the steering wheel to the left/right to access two screws that hold the top and bottom section of the rack casing together. The plastic covers just lift off exposing the screw.

They should just un-clip apart like so.

Step 3.

Completely remove the bottom section leaving the top part loose. Move onto the dashboard shroud around the top and locate the 3 screws. Two on either side facing downwards and the other at the top on the under side. Undo all three and pull the shroud towards you holding the top to pop it off it's clip and it is then loose.

Step 4.

To complete the next bit takes a bit of patience as the steering wheel isn't exactly helpful. With both parts loose begin to pull the top of the steering rack cover upwards and towards you whilst pushing the shroud back, moving it around and turning it at angles helps loosen it out. I found it best to push it above the steering wheel like so, in order to lift it out easier. (Try to avoid damaging the indicator/wiper controls)

Once removed it is onto the shroud which is much easier now. I found it best to pull it forward until the top, furthest back section comes out from underneath the dashboard and slides on top. I then tilted it to the left and twisted it outwards towards me. Just before sliding out of the steering wheel it looked like this. (Be patient)

Step 5.

Once doing this it's onto the speedometer! Undo both screws to the bottom left and right of the speedo, and then push the clip upwards that sits above the display. Then pull it towards you and tilt it so the screen faces upwards. Then tilt it at a backwards/forwards angle and attempt to slide it length ways and the thinnest way to the left of the steering wheel being very delicate with the circuit layer over the back part.

The back of it should look similar to this. A,B,C Are the bulbs used for illuminating the dash. On my Corsa and most they are T5 Capped bulbs and I was changing mine to white LED's as the bulbs had blown. They simply twist one way or the other and slide out. To replace them do vice versa, in and twist. If LED's do not work at first take them out and try them the other way as they work on positive to negative polarity.

The empty dash looks like this on my model, some have a cable I think? Some just don't.

Finally

Do the same backwards to secure everything back and just take it slow, before putting everything back plug it in and turn lights on to see if they light up if not you can un-clip it again. Once all complete I advise a quick run to check the spedo is working etc. Mine now look like this!

Hope this helped, just a rough guide for those who are tedious about doing it I don't know a massive amount myself!

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
Very good.
One things I noticed, was no mention of screws to remove the speedo surround.

Great tutorial that will help many

·
Banned
8,758 Posts
Great tutorial but aint there one already?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had to replace a blown bulb in my instrument panel (1998 Vauxhall Corsa B 1.2i 16v SXI) and it is a 509T bulb.

Typically, I replaced the one blown and another has now gone :palm:

·
Registered
5 Posts
just wondering, if the bulbs are on their way out would they start to dim? or would they just stop working?

any ideas? mine are really dim, barely noticable that they are lit at night time.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts