All Corsa Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the following tutorial you will learn or revise how to colour code your boot lock surround
Simple guide, easy to do but worth putting up

In this guide i will be assuming you have a post 97 boot lock surround, and that you have removed it from the car
if you havent follow my other tutorial : http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/change-boot-lock-2443.html

To:

Tools
Primer (i used grey as thats reccomended for my car colour)
Spray (in the colour of your car - mine is vauxhall atlantis blue)
Something to remove the old badge (i used a swiss army knife)

Guide

1) Remove the boot lock surround from the car if you havent already done so, if you do not know how to do this tutorial here explains:
http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/change-boot-lock-2443.html

2) Remove the badge from the boot lock surround, and the industrial adhesive they use too

3) Dont let the dog near it!

4) Sand it down using wet 600 grit wet and dry, until its kinda smooth, so the paint will stick to it.

5) Spray primer over it, start from left to right going over in one smooth motion keeping a steady hand to reduce chance of bubbles and overspray

6) If there are any lumps in the paint where it has gone thick, just sand down the bumps and primer again if need be.. i had 2 small ones so reprimer was unnessecary.

7) Get the colour coded paint (mine being Atlantis Blue) and use the same technique as primering and you should get a result like above - (after 2 or 3 coats)

8) Superglue the badge back on and your on your way to fitting!

Result

Cost
Bootlock surround - £10 posted (ebay)
A can of primer - £3
A can of paint - £3
600 grit wet n dry - £1?

Note: Thank you again to geebs for providing me with the ebay link for the boot lock surround

Fitted :

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Good guide mate - I also used 1200 grit wet and dry when doing mine but just using 600 grit is perfectly fine and gives you just as good a result as you can see from the above :thumbs_up:

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
No arden blue does come in one can. You need the right primer, then the arden blue, then a clear laquer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
has any one had any problems with the boot locks paint reacting
iv tried mine about 3 times reacted every time / got worse every time aswell each time sanded it rite back to the plastic it seems to be where the badge used to be
it cant be the paint as i did the wing mirrors at the same time and they turned out orite
im guessing it the glue which has silicon or something in it its everytime the laquer hits it it instantly just reacts
jus a pointer for anyone doing metalic i was using arden blue from halford as was the laquer
the primer was from another place though

·
Registered
91 Posts
shouldnt be really weve painted full cars tha have been rubbed down with the stuff same as the mirrors that i did at the same time im gunna try ge another one next time im at the scrappys

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've done two now using halfords metallic satin red paint and using fairy liquid when cleaning the surround and both have come out perfect mate. Maybe a bad batch of paint/laquer?

·
Registered
91 Posts
ye maybe but it worked fine on the mirrors cos i did them all at once im sure its suamt to do with the glue cos it only messed up in that area

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
ye maybe but it worked fine on the mirrors cos i did them all at once im sure its suamt to do with the glue cos it only messed up in that area
Strange. Is it only the final finish that looks bad or does the primer mess up aswell?

·
Registered
91 Posts
ye it goes write through it all leaves like a burnt / cracked affect
its all fine though untill you laquer em dunno im going to get another maybe try again i dunno yet its alot of money in paint if it meses up again as seen as i have nothing else to paint

1 - 20 of 38 Posts