All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the following tutorial you will learn or revise how to colour code your boot lock surround
Simple guide, easy to do but worth putting up

In this guide i will be assuming you have a post 97 boot lock surround, and that you have removed it from the car
if you havent follow my other tutorial : http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/change-boot-lock-2443.html

To:

Tools
Primer (i used grey as thats reccomended for my car colour)
Spray (in the colour of your car - mine is vauxhall atlantis blue)
Something to remove the old badge (i used a swiss army knife)

Guide

1) Remove the boot lock surround from the car if you havent already done so, if you do not know how to do this tutorial here explains:
http://www.allcorsa.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/change-boot-lock-2443.html

2) Remove the badge from the boot lock surround, and the industrial adhesive they use too

3) Dont let the dog near it!

4) Sand it down using wet 600 grit wet and dry, until its kinda smooth, so the paint will stick to it.

5) Spray primer over it, start from left to right going over in one smooth motion keeping a steady hand to reduce chance of bubbles and overspray

6) If there are any lumps in the paint where it has gone thick, just sand down the bumps and primer again if need be.. i had 2 small ones so reprimer was unnessecary.

7) Get the colour coded paint (mine being Atlantis Blue) and use the same technique as primering and you should get a result like above - (after 2 or 3 coats)

8) Superglue the badge back on and your on your way to fitting!

Result

Cost
Bootlock surround - £10 posted (ebay)
A can of primer - £3
A can of paint - £3
600 grit wet n dry - £1?

Note: Thank you again to geebs for providing me with the ebay link for the boot lock surround

Fitted :

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
test what ?
to see if any of the paint you are using or anything is causing the problem. as you said you have nothing else to paint so at least if you test on a cd case you know if you need different paint or a new boot lock surround.

·
Banned
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
iv tried different amount like half an hour wiht hair dryer / heat gun and left over night inside on the radiator
in my opinion that could be your trouble.. whenever i have left paint to drive i leave it in room temperature as too much heat could cause bubbling, cracking etc as the paint is still wet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.