All Corsa Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys today i de bumpstriped my car using a slightly different method to everyone else so thought id share, by the way this is my first tutorialt

first of boil kettle
pour over the bump strip (dont worry i wont damage your paintwork, well it didnt mine anyway)
while still hot slide top up card/ ice scraper etc underneath it and using a sawing action cut through the adhesive

then you will be left with this

clean up the area with warm soapy water then dry thoroughly

soak a rag with petrol and rub onto the adhesive left on the door making sure it soaks in

then gentley start scraping the adhesive off in smooth one stroke motions

keep using the petrol rag between scrapes, as the petrol dissolves the adhesive and also lubricates the area stopping it all sticking back on

after 5 minutes you should have got this far

then after 20 or so minutes

that one side done

reapeat on the other side

ok when both side have been de-bumpstriped use t-cut or your prefered product to blend the paint

and your done

i hope you find this tutorial usefull
i accept no responsibility for any mishaps you may have while following this tutorial

steve

·
Registered
24,002 Posts
You put boiling hot water on your car!!! Why not do the normal method to rmeove them, than your own method to do rest:/

Good tutorial though. It did need doing!

Reactions: corsab2000

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You put boiling hot water on your car!!! Why not do the normal method to rmeove them, than your own method to do rest:/

Good tutorial though. It did need doing!
i try it ages ago on one off my old corsas when my boot was vandalised, to take the badges off and put on the new boot, it works great and doesnt do any damage to the paint what so ever

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does intensive tar and dirt remover work just as well as petrol?
dont know to be honest, iv never used it but petrol removes nearly everything
iv used it for
running my car (obviously lol)
tar stains
badge and bump strip adhesive
no more nails tape
adhesive from window stickers
over spray
degreasing
and a few other things i cant remember

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I thought it might be in idea to give some sort of impression that effort is involved. It's not just about soaking it in petrol and scraping it off, the main ingredient is good old elbow grease and bloody LOTS of it.

I've tried everything, from label remover, boiling water, heat gun/hair dryer, engine oil, WD40, soapy water and nothing will touch this stuff!

And I'm sorry, but 20mins per side is a little optimistic, don't you think?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
i find it easier to

remove them with old car or body filler spreader
get most glue of with same method as above
use a caramel wheel to get rest of glue of
good old elbow grease with a good cloth and polish

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've just been advised to use a caramel thingy to get the remainder of the glue off, but I can confirm that AutoGlym's Intense Bug & Tar remover is a friggin' miracle!
how much does that cost then?

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Just want to confirm Hot water will work?

I dont own a hot air gun and dont want to damage the car with boiling water.

I managed to debadge the car using hot water, would the same work on the bumpstrips? Or does it need to be boiling water/hot air gun?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Just want to confirm Hot water will work?

I dont own a hot air gun and dont want to damage the car with boiling water.

I managed to debadge the car using hot water, would the same work on the bumpstrips? Or does it need to be boiling water/hot air gun?

Thanks
dont use boiling hot warter just hot water should be fine and shoundnt harm the paint thats what i used when de badgeing

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Ok thanks just wanted to confirm, as there seems to be mixed reviews about using hot water on the car etc, hopefully the underneath of my bumpstrip will be fine and not another colour all together.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Ok thanks just wanted to confirm, as there seems to be mixed reviews about using hot water on the car etc, hopefully the underneath of my bumpstrip will be fine and not another colour all together.
thats why im not doing it just incase, plus the other day my door flew open and thanks to the bumpstrip no damage ;)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.